Surefire outdoorsman

Surefire6p

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, I’ve had this surefire outdoorsman for a few years now, it’s got the incandescent bulb I absolutely love it and have never seen one on the market since I got it, is it a rare light?
download.php
download.php
download.php

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That one is definitely a keeper.

Basically it's like a E series in platform and stature. An easy to carry, bright little incan that is popular with the fans of E lights.

PJ

Enlightened
Those had a 25 lumen bulb standard, an MN02 I believe is the designation. Lower output but it gave about 2.5 hours of run time.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have a round-body E2O Outdoorsman. It will fit an AW black-label "protected" 17670 cell. I put my MN02 away for safekeeping (somewhere!), and I am using a Lumens Factory EO-E1R bulb (designed for 1x Li-ion) producing a theoretical 76 lumens declining to 49 lumens, in 69 minutes. It doesn't run nearly as long as the MN02 on 2x primaries, but I like using a rechargeable. The new 16650 cell would run it longer.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yeah, definitely check out Lumens Factory for a new bulb and stash that original one.

I bought the one for 2 regular batteries (6 volts) and it's beam is pretty close to a stock E2. Ships from China, takes about 2-3 weeks, but they come with a nice tube to stash the original in and a Lumens Factory sticker.

Last edited:

Chadder

Enlightened
Still one of my favorites. I have my original MN02 also stashed away. I have the lumens factory led drop-in in mine. I still remember this light in the 2003 surefire catalog. I dreamed of getting one back then. I remember reading the story of the Alaskan brush pilot and him carrying this light.

Surefire6p

Newly Enlightened
im so impressed with its output only being 25 lumens. its got a good amount of throw and the run time is great at 2.5 hours!!!, they really nailed the reflector setup on these E2O'S. I've heard about the lumens factory drop ins in the past but never looked into them, I just took a peak and man I'm getting the bug to stash away the mn02 and upgrade. its such a cool piece its gotta be one of the best EDC'S!!!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
66...7. Yup. Good idea.

I put a Tana singLED in an E2 that draws 350mA for about 100 lumens on high. Then chose the memory mode and it now starts at 25% and a 2nd click is 100, but it always starts at 25.
He has some in 3000k to look just like a light bulb too. At $80 they are kinda pricey, but a pair of batteries goes a long time and being an LED it'll outlive me if I make it to 108 years old. (ie double my current age)

Last edited:

Chadder

Enlightened
Thank you for posting the link! I may not get anything done at work today because of spending too much time looking at all the old surefire catalogs. Beautiful lights!!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several E2O's in all of their original configurations, some with the two flats, twisty tailcap and some with the newer round body and clicky, and some with round body, but twisty tailcap. I have a round body that still has the twisty tailcap that came in the original red box, a few came that way during the transition to the Z57 clicky tailcap. There is basically three variations. I like the MN02 and MN03 lamp assemblies for EDC. The MN03 is basically like carrying a 4D Maglite with better output and that's plenty, plus the quality of light is better with the lithium batteries and orange peel reflector. I have one E2e that I have configured as an E2O. Basically it has the long pocket clip and MN02, but it was originally an E2e. And I EDC several different E2e's with the MN03. It's such a wonderful little light, I don't know if I can ever bring myself to really EDC anything else for lights, I'm old school like that.

Seeing an actual E2O is fairly uncommon nowadays, especially compared to the E2e. I don't EDC any of my E2O's anymore.

Another thing I wanted to mention was that I've noticed it seems that the E2O's bezel length is often slightly shorter than the E2e's. This could be manufacturing tolerances or an actual difference between the lights themselves. I've never really been able to decide if this is a real thing or a coincidence. Just something I've noticed over the years in comparing E2e's to E2O's. The amount of orange peel varies greatly from bezel to bezel in E2e's and lamp assembly to lamp assembly in the larger P60 style lights, so it could very well be due to tolerances.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't EDC any of my E2O's anymore.

Yeah, I don't know if mine completely qualifies as a "shelf queen", but it resides in the safe and I'm going to be careful how I carry it if I'm going to take it outside to use. I have accessorized it with an FM55 "bolt-down" flip-up red filter; a ridiculously expensive filter, if you can even find one, but I am in awe of the design and construction of the thing, considering how small it is.

Last edited:

Minimoog

Enlightened
I have one or two of these but I'm still running the original bulbs for 25 lumens. Seems just right in the dark and I love the beam shape and throw. Are the Lumens Factory bulbs a better bet still? I carry one of the SF battery holsters with a spare bulb in the middle and that is a nice accessory.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sure wish the MN02 lamps were commonplace, but sadly that is not the case.

T Customs on the 'bay has brass sockets and replacement bulbs in varying types that work great. I use a Steve Ku drop in and Lumens Factory LEDs for most my E series, but I have two sockets and around 20 spare bulbs when I want incandescent light...