Higher than 100 watt equivalent LED

Trouthead

Newly Enlightened
Any recommendations for good quality higher than 100 watt equivalent regular socket bulbs. My wife likes bright reading lamps and as I get older so do I . We are using cree 100 eat equivalents along with Phillips. Prefer 5000 K and doesn't need too be dimmed. Also doesn't need to die after 6 months nor cost $20 a piece.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can find them, the ge brightstik 100 watt daylight should last you a long while. I have 7 of them around my home (warm white) and they've been going strong for 2 yrs now.

brickbat

Enlightened
Since when is 100 > 100?

:)

If you don't want to spend big bucks, and your fixture accommodates it, the best bet is to use a twin lamp 'Y' adapter, allowing two 100W lamps to be screwed in...

Last edited:

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
The Y adapter is a good choice if you have the space. Also, depending on the style of reading light your wife is using, you may be able to use a can light or flood light style bulb to direct all those lumens towards her book....rather than diffused around the room.

There are 3 way bulbs rated higher than 100 watt equivalent. We have a couple of them. In a standard lamp, it should come on at the brightest level only. I'm not aware of any issues doing that...maybe someone else can confirm the safety of my idea.

Last edited:

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Y adapter is a good choice if you have the space. Also, depending on the style of reading light your wife is using, you may be able to use a can light or flood light style bulb to direct all those lumens towards her book....rather than diffused around the room.

There are 3 way bulbs rated higher than 100 watt equivalent. We have a couple of them. In a standard lamp, it should come on at the brightest level only. I'm not aware of any issues doing that...maybe someone else can confirm the safety of my idea.
3 way in a standard socket will come on at the middle intensity not highest.

Also: similar to OPs question, are there any currently available 3 ways brighter than 100w (Cree, 85 CRI) or 150w (Philips, 80 CRI)? Have tons of 3 way lamps, most used for reading.

Trouthead

Newly Enlightened
Bought some two way Y adapters. Fit in every lamp I wanted to use them in and make things twice as bright. Thanks for the advice. Now need to find some shades that let the light go through them a bit better. Thanks brickbat.