Blast from the past thread

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I recently acquired another Pentagon 6 volt light with a 3 watt LED and thought "wow, folks must have really been excited when that 100 lumen bar was reached".

I think these were rated at around 110 lumens. The thing I found so exciting beyond the fact that they seem brighter than the numbers suggest, but how neutral the beam was on the Luxeon'd version. Now the other two are on the cool side, yet no blue, no green, no pink, or hint of anything other than a mid-daylight mimic-ing output.
w6y5vd.jpg

The 3 amigos

dcr385.jpg

Looks red to these eyes

2hwkx2p.jpg

Big ole hotspot, decent spill

2hi809g.jpg

Good throw too, all things considered.

The anodizing was super, with a nice dull finish. Glass lens. Gold plated parts. Near silent clicky. Double o-rings.

2gum8pi.jpg

A fine addition to the 6 volt dailys.

So, have you got a blast from the past? One that even by todays standards still keeps up?
Let's see 'em!!

Edit: Dratz!! The tinypic site closed so gone are the old photos.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought my daughter one of the Pentagon lights when she was stationed on the carrier USS Harry S Truman. It was the right-angled one. I don't know if she still has it or not, but she said it was very useful while she was on the ship.

TeaSipper

Newly Enlightened
I still have my trusty Nitecore P36 I bought about two or three years ago. Same batteries still (Simon 18650s) and going strong. Almost the same size as a two D-cell flashlight but with 2000 lumens. 10 lumen levels on hand makes it nice. A combo of flooder and thrower makes it versatile.

WDR65

Enlightened
Those old Pentagon lights were fairly neat. I remember comparing them to the metal Surefire's and being drawn to the lower price with similar features, including the hard anodizing. I never did buy one though.

As for the oldies I don't think I have luxeon lights anymore. I do still use a Surefire U2 with the Seoul P4 as my bedside table light. It's low is great for navigating around a dark house. Most of my others are newer than the past ten years, kinda wish I had kept a few of the classics. I miss the Surefire's the most, the L1's, L4 and the lux V U2 were great.

Warmcopper123

Newly Enlightened
glad to see Im not the only one that misses OD anodizing. every darn light today is shiny black. I cant stand it. what is the big deal with OD anodizing and the industry wide decision to go black for everything.

Those Pentagons were great lights that rivaled Surefire at the time

I long for the old days of Olive Drab

ven

Flashaholic
Love it mr fixer, those look super sweeeeeet!:cool:

Damn archi, you have collections of collections!:D You certainly have an amazing family going, that shorter smooth body(black tail cap). Which is that? Like a shorty z2 style.............:naughty:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
glad to see Im not the only one that misses OD anodizing. every darn light today is shiny black. I cant stand it. what is the big deal with OD anodizing and the industry wide decision to go black for everything.

Those Pentagons were great lights that rivaled Surefire at the time

I long for the old days of Olive Drab

At least Elzetta does a dull black finish. I like OD too. Chalky looking olive drab.... no shine please.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Damn archi, you have collections of collections!:D You certainly have an amazing family going, that shorter smooth body(black tail cap). Which is that? Like a shorty z2 style.............:naughty:

Good eye, my friend, that is a rarity indeed :)

A lego ... SF KL1(g3) + Aleph CR2 + Aleph McE2S Standard (for two level output)

Warmcopper123

Newly Enlightened
I actually like mismatched OD Anno

Love the old shinier ARC and Longbow style and the original SF stuff even original Novatac and HDS matte or shiny I love OD Anno .I guess im a weirdo but I think it imparts some increased value perception to me.Maybe the military look of it

archimedes

Flashaholic
I actually like mismatched OD Anno

Love the old shinier ARC and Longbow style and the original SF stuff even original Novatac and HDS matte or shiny I love OD Anno ....

LongBow ... now that is a true "blast from the past" ... and was one I always wanted, but slipped through my collection :shrug:

ven

Flashaholic
Good eye, my friend, that is a rarity indeed :)

A lego ... SF KL1(g3) + Aleph CR2 + Aleph McE2S Standard (for two level output)

Awesome:D, it looks super cool. I do love that slim body type, like the z2 and the OR hosts of late. Super comfy in hand as well.................