Maglite 6D Conversion Help

Randall Foreman

Newly Enlightened
Guys I got a free Maglite 6D "baton flashlight" from work and it has the incandescent bulbs in it. Low power, just not so good. I'd like to upgrade it to an LED. I see this unit:

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/products/3-6-d-cell-drop-in-to-fit-maglite

Is this a good one? It says it is heat sinked so the light can be on for a long time. Run time with 6 D batteries is supposed to be 12 hours and it's much brighter than the stock incandescent bulb. My questions:

1. How long can the light be safely left on without burning up? My uses would be for camping and for in the truck if I get a flat so might need a long-running light.

2. Is the LED more durable than the incandescent bulb? I'm assuming so but am not sure, don't know much about this stuff.

Figured I try and give this basic and free light some new life and make it more durable and useful. Thoughts?

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Malkoff it.
Plenty of light and lots of durabilty.

+1

I just got that same Malkoff for my 4D truck light. It rocks. I went a step further and got a glass lens and aluminum reflector for even better heat sinking, but it's not really required.

To me, Malkoff products are, for lack of a better term, over-engineered, or stronger than they need to be, as with say, military items. Not a bad thing. Also, from some comparison tests I've seen done, it seems Malkoff underestimates the Lumen specs, compared to many companies who inflate the advertised Lumen rating.

JT

Randall Foreman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks gang. I'm not really worried about having all the lumens, just want something more durable. I know these incandescents break a lot. So the LED is more resistant? The light won't burn up even if used for long amounts of time, like an hours or better without turning off?

terryoregon

Newly Enlightened
The light won't burn up even if used for long amounts of time, like an hours or better without turning off?

Malkoff is a reputable company, it's safe to believe them when they say:

Full heatsinking of the driver and LED insure that the module can, and will, run at maximum output for extended periods.

I have the 1,000 lumens Terralux in my 6 D-Cell, and I've done runtime graphs where it ran for six hours. The head got pretty warm, but the main body tube was barely warm. 325 lumens won't be an issue.

68hdfibb2tmceht6g.jpg

Last edited:

Randall Foreman

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff is a reputable company, it's safe to believe them when they say:

I have the 1,000 lumens Terralux in my 6 D-Cell, and I've done runtime graphs where it ran for six hours; barely got warm. 325 lumens won't be an issue.

68hdfibb2tmceht6g.jpg

Yay! Sounds like the one for me.

So the LED is more resistant to drops and so on? I have had incandescent bulbs turn to powder from dropping them on pavement. :(

radar696

Newly Enlightened
Guys I got a free Maglite 6D "baton flashlight" from work and it has the incandescent bulbs in it. Low power, just not so good. I'd like to upgrade it to an LED. I see this unit:

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/products/3-6-d-cell-drop-in-to-fit-maglite

Is this a good one? It says it is heat sinked so the light can be on for a long time. Run time with 6 D batteries is supposed to be 12 hours and it's much brighter than the stock incandescent bulb. My questions:

1. How long can the light be safely left on without burning up? My uses would be for camping and for in the truck if I get a flat so might need a long-running light.

2. Is the LED more durable than the incandescent bulb? I'm assuming so but am not sure, don't know much about this stuff.

Figured I try and give this basic and free light some new life and make it more durable and useful. Thoughts?
When the finances loosen up I'm thinking about making this upgrade.
I haven't been using those lights.
They are just sitting on the shelf gathering dust.

Radar

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two 6D MLs from my movie theatre management days back in the 90s. I added the TerraLux MiniStar 5s for $36 total and while they're only as bright as the bulbs, the runtimes are longer.

I was mulling over the Malkoffs, but I never use them and they'd only be loaners in a hurricane setting.

They do make nice clubs, however.

Chris

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a little late to the party but I highly recommend Malkoff. I think I have them in every flavor now and they are the most rugged dependable drop ins. I only wish they'd make a warm tint and it would be the perfect light for me.

r1kdSyR.jpg

NUkqbLM.jpg

Px8a1Tz.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
FYI:
IMG_20180312_210841.jpg

Left is a pre-cut from Malkoff
You'll need to cut the cam off the reflector or buy one from Malkoff pre-cut.
If you choose DIY, leave 1/8" of the vertical part like in the photo. It takes about a minute with a dremel cutting disk then a sanding disk makes it look perdy like Gene Malkoff did.

Last edited:

Randall Foreman

Newly Enlightened
Sounds good, gang. I'm deploying soon but once I get back in a few months I'll get the Malkoff. Just seems really awesome.

So will I be okay with the standard reflector, trimmed? Or do I need to buy an aluminum reflector lest the light overheat? Someone mentioned that at those lumen levels it should not... can anyone else chime in on this? And the LED will be more resistant to drops, right?

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your service!!

You can trim the stock one, it's easy enough and more than fine. You don't need the aluminum one.

However....

The Orange Peel KAI Domain reflectors are awesome! The cam screws on and off so you don't need to do any cutting. They'll work perfect without any mods. The orange peel helps hide any imperfections in the lens or reflector too and throws a nice even light, albeit by sacrificing some of the throw. They're only $10 shipped but beware it will take a month to get to you because they ship basic postage from Asia.

http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S006166.KD-M-g-OP-reflector-V3_1-15mm-Opening

1pt21

Enlightened
I know it's been said 10x by now, but I can't help myself.....

Malkoff, the only way to go. You'll thank us later.

Randall Foreman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your service!!

You can trim the stock one, it's easy enough and more than fine. You don't need the aluminum one.

However....

The Orange Peel KAI Domain reflectors are awesome! The cam screws on and off so you don't need to do any cutting. They'll work perfect without any mods. The orange peel helps hide any imperfections in the lens or reflector too and throws a nice even light, albeit by sacrificing some of the throw. They're only $10 shipped but beware it will take a month to get to you because they ship basic postage from Asia.

http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S006166.KD-M-g-OP-reflector-V3_1-15mm-Opening

Thank you, much appreciated.