Recommend me two lights. One keychain, one edc.

Bundin

Newly Enlightened
Edited out some old info.

I'm actually looking for two lights. The first is a tiny keychain light, which shouldn't be horribly expensive. Key chain bought! Nitecore TIP CRI

The other light I want is the more challenging one. I'll start off with the info that's listed in the template from the sticky, so I'll be as complete as possible:

I'll buy online (living in The Netherlands), price up to $150 but less is better. AI'm looking for a smallish EDC, somewhere upto 7 inches. I still have a Fenix L2D somewhere, which had a nice size at 6 inches. I'm fine with the head being a tad thicker/bulkier, but it should stay in edc territory. I'd prefer it running on 18650, in-lamp charger is very nice, but not strictly necessary, I'll be fine with an using an external charger.

As for how much light I need, that's twofold: I really need a low lowest setting, so I can use it without waking up myself just by turning it on. If I'm just about able to read a map with that in a completely dark environment, that'd be plenty. On the other end: I live in a somewhat rural area, and at times I need to find my cat when she has decided to be somewhere else, panic a bit, make lots of noise every now and then, and still expect me to come and collect her. While my cat probably considers that a SAR mission, I don't need massive throw for that. She won't wander off half a mile :) I also like an occasional hike/walk in the dark, so it should be able to cover some distance, but not be a full thrower. Flood+walking works. I'm guessing that I'm looking for wide to narrow flood. As for tint, after the nitecore TIP CRI arrived, I realised that high CRI is the way to go for me.

Last bits of info: a separately available red filter would be nice, I like the option to save night vision. I do like it to remember the last power setting, and not flashing from bright to low when turned on like my old L2D did. Anything not too far from the average is fine when it comes to the switch, not a big fan of twisty though. I don't need a strobe, but they're everywhere now. Water resistance... IPX4 is a must, 7 is nice, 8 is overkill.

I've looked at the Zebralight SC600 Mk IV Plus series, but I'm not sure about which model would suit me best. The w and the Fc seem to be the most interesting. Any (other) suggestions? Are any Zebralights high CRI?

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello and welcome to CPF

Your post above has been approved

I have the SGN3 myself, and overall rather like it, although it is on the largish side for a keyring torch.

ZL has many (many) fans here on CPF, but I have no experience with those.

At a lower price point (and perhaps corresponding less robust) the new Emisar series (D1, D1S, D4) have also become extremely popular.

I'm sure you will get lots more useful advice here, cheers !

moltenmag

Enlightened
I'll save you some time. If you want the best...Muyshondt maus for keychain. Hds Systems Rotary 219b HCRI for edc. You won't regret it. Buy once. Cry once.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
The Manker Lad is nice. I have it and gave it to my daughter because I won't carry it. It is too large for me, being as large as my car's remote.
For a keychain light I use a CooYoo Quantum (I don't think it is made anymore, but there are a number of copycats) Jetbeam and Fenix both (there are others, I am sure) have a mini that is a version of the cooyoo.

The Manker Quinlan is a nice EDC with throw, and a sublumen, it also has the ability to recharge it's 18650 cell.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not 18650, but an 18350, but other than that, the Nitecore EC11 fits your bill for an EDC. It has a the normal CREE LED for its main light source, and using an IMR 18350 will output 900 lumens on turbo, but it has a 1 lumen moonlight mode on the other end. It also has a supplemental red LED that is useful for close work while preserving night vision, and it can also be set to flash as a beacon. I carry its cousin, the EA11, which uses either a 14500 [my choice] or a regular AA cell [with attendant lower max output]. I normally carry mine in its holster on my belt, but it is small enough to carry is a jean pocket, or a coat or jacket pocket. It also has a clicky switch in the tail cap, so there is no parasitic drain to worry about.

For a keychain light, I have a Nitecore Tube on one keychain, and a Nitecore TIP CRI on the other. They both have benefits and drawbacks, but either one will work well on a keychain. A tip: I use two o-rings to connect the light to the keychain. That makes it easier to turn the light so that it is parallel to the key and does a better job of lighting the lock.

Bundin

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. The often recommended HDS Systems Rotary 219b does look like an awesome piece of kit and a worthy addition to anyone's collection, but it is way over my budget really. I'm not really willing to spend a lot more than $150, so I'm afraid that won't work. The same goes for the BOSS 35, excellent light, but too rich for me unfortunately :)

I did in fact get a Nitecore TIP CRI for my key chain choice, and I quite like the light that it emits. High CRI definitely suits me. So I guess that I'm looking for an edc with a Nichia 219b as well, or something that performs similarly. I also do prefer 18650 over other cells, and a really low low. The low on the TIP is already pretty bright for pitch dark environments with sleeping people, but it works.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
You might consider getting a Convoy S2+ in the color of your choice, driven at the level of your choice, and swapping in a nichia led on a 16mm board. If you can solder, you can DIY. If not, there are a number of modders, who could easily do it for you.
To get the low that you want, you'll need to get one with the biscotti firmware/driver. OR other drivers that will go that low.
I am guessing that the parts should be about $30, or less.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
If I were in the market for a regular EDC right now, I'd likely end up with the Fenix PD35 v.2.
https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/pd35-fenix-flashlight/

I own the previous model, which has been on my belt for 3 years, and apart from a few cosmetic scratches, it has not once failed me.
Alternatives would be the Thrunite TN12 2016.

For keychain, I'm all over the Nitecore Tip right now. It's about the size of a VW / Audi keyfob.
http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/tip

It's still compact (subjective, I guess), and with good output.

Last edited: