Mr. Bulk Chameleon Update Needed

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
I would like to update the driver and LED on my Chameleon. Has anybody done this? What are my driver board options? I'd like to use a 219V LED.

Also, does anybody currently make alternative battery tubes for this light? I'd like AA and maybe 18650 options.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
AA would most likely look pretty strange with a regular chameleon head. I don´t think he made any 18650 tubes but I might be wrong......so best shot is to get in touch with RPM (back than he made lot of stuff for the Bulkware).

Eric

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
To my knowledge you can not change the driver as its side switch is part of the driver. You might check with George, at http://www.taskled.com/
who made the drivers. The LED can be updated but I do not have the exact ones you can use. Its a great light. Good luck.

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I have reached out to George.

I like the functions of the light. Just looking for a more modern output really. And you're right, its a great light.

Also need a few AW 123 protected cells. Whats the best place to get these these days?

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
I had my Chameleon's emitter swapped out for an XP-L HI and the difference in output is shocking.

Hmm, I think I can actually replace the LED. Ordered a few to try it out. It looks very easy on this light.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, I think I can actually replace the LED. Ordered a few to try it out. It looks very easy on this light.

yes, very easy swap. I've done a few, plus some new builds. the drivers at task LED are what were used, but they were a special version with Side switch that I don't think is available from them.

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did the machining for the MrBulk lights. I still have some hosts here that were extras. But since they decided to not make anymore I got stuck with them. I was going to build up these hosts that I have into complete lights using XP-L HI and Nichia 219C. The issue is you can not get these optics for these lights anymore. I have been able to modify a different reflector successfully.18650 bodies were made for these but not a lot of them. LED's are not too hard to swap.Chris

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did the machining for the MrBulk lights. I still have some hosts here that were extras. But since they decided to not make anymore I got stuck with them. I was going to build up these hosts that I have into complete lights using XP-L HI and Nichia 219C. The issue is you can not get these optics for these lights anymore. I have been able to modify a different reflector successfully.18650 bodies were made for these but not a lot of them. LED's are not too hard to swap.Chris

Chris. Was the XP-L HI domed or flat.......and were you able to keep the original reflector.
Thanks,
David

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XP-L HI is dedomed (flat). And you can keep the original reflector. I think mcbrat could answer any questions regarding the swap better than I.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the swap, to have the led at the correct height for the reflector, you will need a spacer. I've seen a bare mcpcb used, a copper penny, or a custom made spacer.

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chameleon 18650 Battery Tube just made for DavidRZ. I even engraved the bottom of the tube.

20180405_144606.jpg
20180405_144657.jpg

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
This light turned out great! TNC did a great job on the 18650 tube and all the tips helped to install a 219c in the head.

sygyzy

Enlightened

Wow what a blast from the past. I really hope you sell these as complete lights with updated emitters and drivers. What exactly is the issue with the drivers being tied to the switch? I am not sure what that means.

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow what a blast from the past. I really hope you sell these as complete lights with updated emitters and drivers. What exactly is the issue with the drivers being tied to the switch? I am not sure what that means.
Here is a picture showing the driver. You can see there is a switch that is attached to the driver board. This is what makes it hard to just swap this driver for a standard driver.
da965ca52c7c919efd863b9a0852c849.jpg

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened

The driver is actually great. The UI is one of the best out there in my opinion.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
The driver is actually great. The UI is one of the best out there in my opinion.

Great UI. I made 3 lights with a side switch from George. Two were his standard side swith drivers as shown in the pic.
You might be interested in the link that is part of my signature below