Old 6P and 9P bulbs with reflectors

Trouthead

Newly Enlightened
Over the years I have converted all my 6P and 9P variations to Malkoff LEDs. As a result I was cleaning out a drawer and came upon 5 old bulbs, that all worked when they went into the box in the drawer. A couple P60s, a P61, and a P90 and a P91. Do they have any collector value? I see plenty on Ebay from China for $3-4, so I think not. Some marked Laser Products some Surefire. Can't see ever using them again. Any ideas?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Send them to me.

Seriously the Ebay China bulbs are not in the same caliber as the Surefire bulbs. The Surefire lamps will possibly go hundreds of hours without darkening at all because of the xenon-halogen cycle they use. Most of the Chinese bulbs are only filled with xenon, or some not even that. You won't get that performance or quality out of the Chinese bulbs. The Laser Products marked bulbs do have a small amount of collector value since they are not as common nowadays. I would save them for SHTF. Incan bulbs are EMP and solar storm proof.

I have several LED lights, but honestly I hardly ever use them as I prefer incandescent lighting.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The P61 and P91 are getting pretty scarce. Yet they don't bring a lot of coin. Too many other options these days. And the purist who prefer oem already have a hoard stockpiled.

Now in 10 years when clones are no longer profitable due to lack of interest you've got a treasure trove in your possesion.

"Pulled" P60's go for $5-8 at the big bay. P90's are not seen all that often, but again don't pull in big bucks for the seller.
Wait until fashion dictates "what's old is new again" and then sell 'em is my opinion.

Trouthead

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys. Just more pack rat stuff for me to hold onto. I should put it with my parts to build another ROP.

mamelo

Newly Enlightened
Incan bulbs are EMP and solar storm proof.

The question is not whether or not a severe solar storm will be coming but when. But then, which part will be the weakest in the chain, LED/driver, incan bulb, batteries, charger, primaries...
Do we have a closed all-metal case to store electronic devices to survive at least the very first wave?
But is a flashlight as important as something to drink, eat, maybe medicine you might depend on, and toilet paper? :tinfoil:

I do love my Malkoff LED tints and beam pattern, but nothing compares to a P60 beam, and once they are gone they are gone ...

broadgage

Enlightened
I do not believe that a solar storm could kill LED flashlight lamps. A solar storm induces unwanted voltages in long conductors, these have to be MILES long. Examples of such long conductors include grid lines, railway lines, telephone lines, long pipelines and long wire fences.
The effect on anything portable should be zero, unless connected to long conductors.

An EMP by contrast is likely to induce damaging voltages in even small items such as portable electronic including LED flashlight lamps.

Either event could be devastating and flashlights though useful would be a lower priority than food, water, fuel, and other essentials.

mamelo

Newly Enlightened
I do not believe that a solar storm could kill LED flashlight lamps.

Ya, who knows, probably you're right, the earth's magnetosphere protects us and small items. But there is a chance for a superstorm (like the one of 1859 or even bigger) combined with a weak magnetosphere (e.g. 5% of current strength) in the case of a geomagnetic reversal and maybe such an coincidence could.

Anyway, I promise that I take a Surefire 6P and a Malkoff MD2 with me for a comparison test under unprotected conditions - should I ever do a space trip... :popcorn:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
when there comes a solar storm strong enough to kill robust things like flashlight electronics,
these devices will not have anyone remaining to use them
:rolleyes:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
True. They'll get a jumpstart on technology from us. :thumbsup:

Rk_EKl_s-200x150.gif

Yup...