• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Olight Ion

7hns

Newly Enlightened
Does the Ion really have no water protection? Isn't that sort of crazy? I didn't think any light on the planet was left without water resistance...

pc_light

Enlightened
In all candor, my opinion is that its more of a fine pocket piece than a workhorse.

Although most of the light appears to be reasonably tight, the weak point is the exposed USB charging port (and the switch) on the ION.

I have an aftermarket USB cover on mine but I would still not subject it to more than light mist. (I would certainly be willing to expose it to more water than I would my cellphone.) With a wrap it might be slightly more water resilient but no it would never be IP rated for water exposure without an external case. Food for thought :whistle:

FWIW, Surefire a brand known for workhorse lights probably wouldn't fair much better with regard to water resistance with the Sidekick either.

Last edited:

Olightworld

Enlightened
The Ion was intended for more of a collector/innovative piece. The light can handle normal use but was not intended to be heavily carried or put through other EDC paces. Either way, we think its a pretty cool little light and is tons of fun to carry and mess around with!