Why isn't the ET1 charger marketed internationally?

TheIntruder

Newly Enlightened
I happened upon the ET1 charger, and despite being unable to read Chinese, was still able to make out the basic features of what appears to be an attractive product.

* 2-slot
* Li-ion/Ni-MH compatibility
* 0.5/1.0/2.0A current capability
* Micro USB input (not the proprietary cable that many consider a hindrance of the VC series)
* an informative display that indicates cell voltage, mAh, and current (it might be a bit over stylized, but is more informative than many of the newer Xtar chargers)
* USB power bank output

I haven't been able to warm up entirely to the VC series, but I'd buy an ET1 in a heartbeat, because it addresses all my reservations with the VCs, which are often the same expressed by reviewers and users of Xtar's current chargers.

Reduce the wasted space of the display (maybe even enough to display data for both channels simultaneously), market it outside China, and I think it would be a winner, and be the worthy successor to the VC2 that many think the VC2 Plus is not.

markr6

Flashaholic
WHAT??? Why is all the good stuff always outside of the US? Same thing happened with some Eneloop products.

This is what I wanted for a long time. I settled for the VC2 Plus, but it's a joke displaying the % and "time remaining" instead of the voltage. I want to know the VOLTAGE!!

As usual, there's always something a little annoying...like having to switch between both cells. But I guess I can live with that. I'm guessing (hoping) this will be in the US and elsewhere before too long.

Last edited:

Connor

Enlightened
What's going on XTAR? This charger is exactly what I want .. please offer it in Europe.

TheIntruder

Newly Enlightened
As Professor Farnsworth used to say, "Good News, Everyone."

My curiosity got the better of me, so I contacted Xtar directly to ask that they consider selling an English version of the ET1 outside China.

At first, they thought I might a potential dealer/distributor, but after a clarification that I was only an end user, they were able to point me in the right direction.

Turns out there is an English version of the ET1, but it is sold under a different brand and model, as the Allmaybe TC2. It appears to be otherwise identical, and even identifies Xtar as the manufacturer on the back, but the warranty is only 1 year, as opposed to 2 years.

The Amazon links on the product page are dead, but the link to the eBay Allmaybe store works, and they also have a store on AliExpress as well.

I'm not sure what kind of relationship the brand has with Xtar, whether an affiliate or just a reseller, but they also offer their own version of the MC4 and the Liitokala Lii-202 (?!) as well.

So, I took a flyer and ordered one. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I'm not holding my breath on how well the capacity feature will actually work, but will be happy just to have a portable USB charger capable of quickly charging one cell if needed, with a decent display. It ticks all the boxes for me.