Prometheus Alpha

hatman

Enlightened
Anyone have experience with the Prometheus Alpha line?
Worth the $$?
I'd love to see some comparison photos to get a feel for the length and the diameter.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Although I find it a little large for the 1x18650 form factor, I think it is nicely made.

Other pluses for me include the uncommon EN finish, which I really like, and the particular reflector / emitter combo chosen (both likewise not often used these days in other flashlights)

hatman

Enlightened
Which emitter did you choose?

I'd love to see photos comparing length with other 18650 size lights.
The length is one of my concerns.

MadAmos

Newly Enlightened
I have 3 One Blue label, one Ti, and one Ready made. I have no problem carrying them in my left front pocket standing next to my wallet.

The Ready made is a MCE 4500k
The others are both XML 6500k

I prefer the XML ones the Ti was tested by Jason at 1070 Lumen and it is the bomb in my 2 acre yard on the unlit edge of town.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Which emitter did you choose?

I'd love to see photos comparing length with other 18650 size lights.
The length is one of my concerns.

MC-E 4500K

If you post up a request for a comparison photo to some other relatively common flashlight of your choice, I'm sure someone here will likely be able to oblige soon ....

Last edited:

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
The length is 5-3/4 of an inch, so if you've ever held a Mini Maglite AA incandescent, they are the exact same length. The Mini Mag's head is 1 inch in diameter. The Alpha's body is 1 inch in diameter, so it's as big around as the Mini MagLite's head. The Alpha's head is 1.2 inches in diameter, so it's very slightly smaller than a Surefire 6P's head, which is 1.25 inches in diameter...

hatman

Enlightened
For comparison, I regularly carry several EagTac 18650 clickies listed below in my signature.
I like the diameter and the length of these EagTacs, which are a good fit for my hand.
I seem to graviate to lengths not much in excess of 5 inches -- hence my request for photos comparing the Alpha to other 18650s.

I like the EagTac "D" series for their relatively slim diameters, as well as their lengths.
My EagTac DX30, which I frequently carry, is 5 inches long.

For tint, my eyes like neutral to warm -- definitely not CW.
I just got an Oveready with a 219C, which I like very much.

Thank you kindly.

Last edited:

Rstype

Flashlight Enthusiast
17e7d83339a3710e4c68d6c363c7629d.jpg

Here is a quick picture.
Lights used were a malkoff mdc with 16650 body, Prometheus alpha ready made, malkoff md2 and surefire 6p.

CLBME

Enlightened
OP you probably already know this, however, Jason does, or at least used to, make a shorter body for his Alpha lights if desired. I had the MC-E version (full size). Beautiful output. Great light.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey hatman, I don't have the Alpha, but have many of Jason's products and can attest to the Quality Control and workmanship. He has always been very responsive to any questions I have emailed him. Now that he bought FourSevens, I expect even more greatness....

hatman

Enlightened
Thanks for the comments and the photo.

The Alpha is second from the right, yes?

Does the Alpha have the same clip that Dark Suck sells separately, and which fits some Surefires (as well as my two Elzetta Alphas)?

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
OP you probably already know this, however, Jason does, or at least used to, make a shorter body for his Alpha lights if desired. I had the MC-E version (full size). Beautiful output. Great light.

I'm assuming the shorter body holds 16340 cells? I can't find this information on Jason's site. Can anyone confirm that this is correct? Does he plan on making anymore of these?

I'd carry my Alpha much more if it were smaller.

nbp

Flashaholic
I believe they were 18350. I always felt the same way about my Alpha and its large size.

jdboy

Enlightened
The shorter body makes the Alpha a much more pleasant light to carry and yes it uses 18350 size cells. I'm running an Aspire 18350 in mine at the moment but I've also used AW Red 18350s with no issue. I have a Custom 4500K MC-E and a Ready-Made 6500 MC-E. My Custom has the older 3 mode driver but my Ready-Made has the Icarus driver. To be honest the new driver has really spoiled me. I really like the UI. I've actually thought about sending my Custom in for the driver swap but I'm afraid to change it. The tint/beam on it is by far the most pleasing tint/beam I've ever owned in a flashlight.

833fe953fc1852f1e01df60ed1d8a5e2.jpg

Last edited:

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
I believe they were 18350. I always felt the same way about my Alpha and its large size.

Thanks.

I guess Jason doesn't plan on making another batch of these anytime soon. Any other options to add by other makers to obtain a smaller body for the Alpha lights?

n3mo

Newly Enlightened
Alpha short bodies are up on the website again. Also new Delta light will come soon (specs on website) which features the 18350 size.

hatman

Enlightened
I've written him for more information on the Delta, which is the right size but not sure I want or need another three-emitter light.

MadAmos

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the heads up I just ordered a short body, I have wanted one for some time now and had just about given up hope.