DBR Guardian

sld

Newly Enlightened
Has anybody else here bought the Surefire DBD Guardian? Got mine a couple of weeks ago and quite like it. I've been using the intellabeam I think they call it on the flood side and find it is much more useable than I thought it would be.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
There seems to be a scarcity of online review material for this new flashlight. OP, any photos and/or detailed impressions would be appreciated.

sld

Newly Enlightened
I,too, have notice the lack of info posted about this light. Here's a start.
The throw is pretty good, it hits the back of my lot about 200' from the house fairly easily.
The flood side has 15, 300 and 100 lumen settings with run times from the manual of 2.5, 4.25 and 62 hours.
The throw side has 15, 250 and 800 lumen settings with 2.75, 4.25 and 60 hour run times.
there are five modes of operation ( profiles as Surefire callers them):
1: Intellibeam
2: first click Intellibeam, second click High
3: Momentary high
4: First click low, second click med, third click high
5: first click high, second click med, third click low
The second and third clicks must be within a second of each other. Waiting longer causes the next click to turn the light off. I think this UI seems to work very well. Each side of the light can be set to one of the five profiles. I've been using 2 on the flood side and 4 on the throw side. The procedure for setting the profile is fairly straightforward.
The manual says the battery can be fully recharged in about three hours. There is a small LED indicator near the buttons that indicates the charge status. The USB-C port charges the light and can be used to charge a mobile phone or other personal electronic device.
Overall I quite like the light. The intellibeam works better and is more useable than I though it would be. I'll see if I can post some pictures of the light in use in the next could of days. If anyone has any questions I'll be glad to try answering them.

Steve

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Steve!

I wanted to buy on Ebay, there is one seller, who has 5 or 6 pieces available for 159,
but when you try to pay through Paypal - Paypal was rejected and I was offered to enter credit card details.
In my opinion this is like fraud, be careful. I think I'll order later, when they will be everywhere a lot.

Steve, I'm very interested in the question of programming (The procedure for setting the profile) - it is necessary as on Sidekick to connect the charger for programming and push buttons .. or it's done like on Lupine Piko TL - press and hold the button so that the modes are cycled through? (without connecting the charger)

Last edited:

sld

Newly Enlightened
It's a bit big for pants pocket carry IMO. I've carried it either in a jacket pocket or an unused cell phone pouch.

The programming mode is entered by holding down both buttons for three to five seconds. The battery indicator LED by the buttons will flash. Then press the button for the side of the light you want to program. The LED will turn green if you press the left (flood) button or red for the right (throw) button.Then press the button the number of time equal to the mode you want to set, i.e. to set mode three press the button three times. To save and exit the programming mode press the button for the other side of the light for two seconds. The battery LED will blink the number of times to verify the mode that was set (mode 3 would be 3 blinks). If no button is pressed for 30 seconds while in program mode the light will exit the programming mode with nothing changed. Also when setting the mode anything more than five button presses is ignored and mode five is set. The charger does not need to be connected to reprogram the Light.

I bought mine from a large mail order photographic dealer in New York for that same price.

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
the0dore3524

Yes, good reputation, but that's not the point.

In the description of the lot says that the paypal is accepted, but when you try to pay,
it wants credit cards and rejects paypal. I spoke with the technical support of paypal,
they checked everything - the problem is not on my side. Maybe the store has some problems with Paypal - I do not know.
But I'm become very suspicious when asked for a credit card instead of the promised paypal.

Let's go back to the flashlights.

sld please tell what information in the packaging about the guarantee - unlimited or like in Sidekick 1 year (due to the built-in battery as expected) ?

sld

Newly Enlightened
The instruction sheet with the light says it has a lifetime warranty on the light and a two year warranty on the rechargeable battery.

GLOCK18

Enlightened
I bought mine on Amazon it's the same seller (17th street photo) as eBay. Odd that SureFire doesn't have any info on their site!

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
The instruction sheet with the light says it has a lifetime warranty on the light and a two year warranty on the rechargeable battery.

Thank you, it's encouraging!

And one more small question, is it possible to include both headlights at the same time or are they included only separately?

sld

Newly Enlightened
There is a place in Florida I stumbled across on the big auction site that claims to have some of the holsters in stock. I have one on order that should be here on Saturday or Monday. Something like $18 shipped.

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I wonder if it is possible to send the light back to SF to have the battery replaced.

fordcappy

Enlightened
If anyone can point me to the light from a retailer. I had an order placed for over a month with optics planet via amazon and the cancelled my order with no explanation.

chartmarker

Newly Enlightened
Looks like a nice light but I don't think we will see them for awhile , I cancelled my order for one. Got tired of waiting.