Yuji VX COB SMD LED For Microscope Driver Questions

Eggnogg

Newly Enlightened
Is anyone familiar with Yuji VX emitters? I was looking for a high CRI emitter for the microscope. Are they the same as the VTC series? Spec: SMD Chip model 9W-VX-5000 9watt , - Vf 29 -If 450mA. I plan on putting this in my Zeiss microscope, to replace the 30watt halogen lamp. What would be a good dimmable driver to use? Is this an SMD, or is it a COB emitter?

s-l400.jpg

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not familiar with VX, and it's not listed on their website. Is this an older Yuji product you already have on hand?

Doing a search, it sounds like it is a violet-pumped COB like the current VTC product is.

LEDsupply.com has a range of drivers that may be suitable for these. I've got a DC application that will use the LuxDrive Flexblock, but there's also some AC-powered drivers there.

nanakuli

Newly Enlightened
This is an older product. The new line of violet-pumped products are only available in SMD form factor, not in COB form factor. You should definitely be able to find something at 350 mA constant current, as under-driving those would not be an issue and should still get you to a 30W equivalent brightness.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may not be a suitable option. The halogen lamp is a very small emitting area that's very bright. An SMT LED (by which I assume you mean one that the die is visible) is much larger, and while it may give off as many lumens, does so with much lower surface brightness. A COB has a number of small dies covered with some diffusing material, giving it an even lower surface brightness.

This typically isn't important if you are illuminating an area considerably larger than the COB. But in a microscope, the only thing that matters is how much light you can get on the specimen, which is, well, microscopic.