New Nitecore EA42 - What Do You Think?

richzx14

Newly Enlightened
Looking for comments/feedback on the new EA42. Does anyone have one yet? The specs look pretty good, especially for an AA light. Looking to purchase my first XHP light.

TIA

Charles BridgTec

Newly Enlightened
I will be doing a testing and reviewing of this Nitecore EA42 on my YouTube channel undet Charles BridgTec very soon.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if you want to save weight it is a nice option to have a high-powered flashlight but with light body. For me personally I would like to have a full-metal flashlight.

stickx

Newly Enlightened
I wonder how much the thermal regulation will affect the turbo output. Especially with the plastic body. The Nitcore web site waaay down at the bottom says the turbo runtime testing is "before" temperature regulation starts.???

bobrip

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried to use Lithium primaries in this light? I asked Nitecore directly and they said don't use them. They are unstable. I am afraid to, concerned about that it might damage the light.

Beckler

Enlightened
I wonder how much the thermal regulation will affect the turbo output. Especially with the plastic body

Yes would be interesting to know. Maybe they tested it and determined it makes little difference. They should state things like this. I do know my EA45S gets quite hot. One advantage of a plastic body is it would be more comfortable to hold in winter. Also in some cases could be more durable since aluminum could dent or distort with large forces.

bobrip

Newly Enlightened
I just tried lithium primaries in my EA42 even though the manual says don't
use them. They are doing OK so far after about 10 minutes of use.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I recently contacted Nitecore and they said the lithium primaries are ok to use. They wouldn't elaborate on why it's not recommended in the manual, but added that Ni-MH are better.

I did read once that if a light is not well regulated that the lithium primaries can reduce the life of the LED. I think with a high-end light like the EA42, you're ok...

bobrip

Newly Enlightened
I recently contacted Nitecore and they said the lithium primaries are ok to use. They wouldn't elaborate on why it's not recommended in the manual, but added that Ni-MH are better.

I did read once that if a light is not well regulated that the lithium primaries can reduce the life of the LED. I think with a high-end light like the EA42, you're ok...

Thanks. That's good to know from Nitecore direct. I will use Eneloop Pros most of the
time anyway. I just wanted to know if lithium primaries will work.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
EA42 lost me. The older EA41 "short 4xAA" design was a lot better and easier to pocket. Half the EA42 is plastic now=nope.

Berneck1

Enlightened
EA42 lost me. The older EA41 "short 4xAA" design was a lot better and easier to pocket. Half the EA42 is plastic now=nope.

I know what you mean about the plastic. When I ordered it, I didn't realize the body was plastic, and I was disappointed. However, when I started using it, that disappointment quickly went away. It's extremely comfortable in the hand. It feels extremely solid and durable. I'm not worried in the least that it could break. It's also not reactive to cold and hot the way a metal light is. It was below freezing the other night and my hand wasn't getting frozen like it does holding a metal body.

I agree it's not as "pocketable" as the EA41, but I wouldn't really call that light pocketable either. The slimmer handle can slip into a back pocket pretty well, and it's not all that bad in a jacket pocket either.

The EA42 is a fantastic household light. The UI is extremely intuitive. Just about any "non-flashlight" person can figure it out pretty quickly, with the strobe modes nicely hidden away not causing accidental activation.

It's the kind of all-purpose flashlight you want around during a power outage or emergency that anyone can use. Fantastic performance with the most common batteries on the planet.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its cool you like the EA42. The LENGTH of the EA42 that would be sticking out of a coat pocket that keeps me away. I still am not so certain about their output claims on 4xAA though. Oh well I have 2 EA41's that for ME...are just much easier to pocket. I spoil them both with Energizer Ultimate lithium L91AA's that made QUITE an improvement in max output AND run time. EXPENSIVE CELLS. Still for AA lithium primaries they have 3000mah capacity and I have seen several L91 AA's come out of the package at up to 1.8v before. The L91's are the AA's that drive the light the hardest but at the same time last longer with a pretty large capacity advantage at 3000mah vs even Eneloop Pros 2650mah.

VALUE wise it is Eneloop all day. If I have the money at the time I go straight for L91's. Those cells made BOTH my old EA41's noticeably brighter and they last longer than any other AA's. Downside is they are not rechargeable.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried to understand the manual. Like earlier it has direct access to firefly and turbomode. And turbomode also is momentary.
The light has memory but it seems that firefly and turbo is still included. If so, I am very dissatisfied. That's a stupid function with modes who already have direct access.

bobrip

Newly Enlightened
I ran Energizer lithium primaries in my EA42 for about a month.
They worked well most of the month. Yesterday I was getting unusual operations. I tested the batteries and one was down to 10%. The others were about 40%. So they did work and I was satisfied with the use.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried to understand the manual. Like earlier it has direct access to firefly and turbomode. And turbomode also is momentary.
The light has memory but it seems that firefly and turbo is still included. If so, I am very dissatisfied. That's a stupid function with modes who already have direct access.

I've been trying to keep it in turbo setting but it seems to be momentary that you have to keep the button pressed to keep it on. I suppose considering the run time that they don't want you to forget that it's in the turbo setting but they should have specified that in the instructions.