Can Anyone Replace These LED's?

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
Is it possible, and can someone do this for me?

Ideally I could put XPL-HI LED's in this light. I'd like it to be a bit brighter and have a warmer tint. I was surprised to see the LED's mounted directly on the board like that when I opened this one up, was hoping for an easy swap. This project is over my head that is for sure.

MLkaOrK.jpg

Last edited:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, we can see it. With all those surface-mounted bits surrounding the LEDs, that would be challenging for anybody. Is this for a bicycle light?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It makes sense to build the LED and driver on one board like that from a production viewpoint.

There are ways to remove and replace the LEDs but the process isn't perfect. Basically:
- The entire board is heated to just below solder melt temperature (which we have to guess at)
- You apply a desolder flux to the area where the solder is to be removed
- A very fine tip heat gun is applied right at the part to be removed, melting the solder locally so that the part is removable.

Under the best of conditions, the process has a yield less than 100%, and a 50% failure rate is common even if you are doing the same project regularly.

The big challenges are:
- The board is a very good heat spreader, so it is hard to make a localized temperature differential
- The LED is soldered down, not just the electrical contacts, but also the back is soldered to the board - so difficult to access.

I only have some of the tools needed to do that kind of work (and lack the eye - hand coordination) but I would think that if someone were willing to take on the project, you would need to supply them with at least 4 - 5 of the boards in hope of getting one good one back.

The kind of place that would have the tools to do that work are a printed circuit board repair business, or individual doing printed circuit repair at the component level.

There is a forum member who did a great deal of testing and posting of LEDs who has those kinds of skills and tools. I need to think about what his name is. He posted a lot in the LED section years ago and was really into bike riding.

You might also look at resumes in cragslist, or try posting a gig adv.

Last edited:

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
Yes, we can see it. With all those surface-mounted bits surrounding the LEDs, that would be challenging for anybody. Is this for a bicycle light?

Yes, its a bike light. And I do understand the challenges.

Thanks all for your input. It seems the way to go here may be to build a new light out of this head from scratch. That way I can get exactly what I would like out of this light.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, its a bike light. And I do understand the challenges.

Thanks all for your input. It seems the way to go here may be to build a new light out of this head from scratch. That way I can get exactly what I would like out of this light.

I am just speculating, but my guess is that the light is using standard triple LED optics and the board is standard spacing for the optical design.

If you can put the driver in another location, it will be pretty easy.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
those look like xm-l2.
xp-l no go as they are 3535 footprint.
i would have no problem replacing those but you are stuck with a 5050 footprint.
warmer xm-l/xm-l2 is doable.

Is it possible, and can someone do this for me?

Ideally I could put XPL-HI LED's in this light. I'd like it to be a bit brighter and have a warmer tint. I was surprised to see the LED's mounted directly on the board like that when I opened this one up, was hoping for an easy swap. This project is over my head that is for sure.

MLkaOrK.jpg

lunas

Enlightened
Looks like a royal pain it is possible you will need to put a lot of heat into it to pull the 3 emitters...