Windows 10 versions

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I mostly use Linux mint, but I need to setup a computer for my wife with Win 10 and Office.

I wondered if someone can help me understand the difference between the various versions.

Not just a "home users should use the home version", but really in some details what is the difference? For example in the past, there were some very sophisticated email settings that could be done on win 7 pro but not on some of the lesser versions. For some reason, I think the home version had more TV / DVD watching capabilities and we do watch netflix routinely.

We don't have a server at home yet, but we will in the future.

She stores fairly large amounts of photos and videos (for personal entertainment / family album sort of stuff)

Unfortunately she is a historic mac / iphone users so I need to find a way to support transitioning her stuff in a self synchronizing way to the win 10 desktop.

I will probably put a 2 - 3 TB drive on it so that I don't need to worry about her outgrowing the drive for a while. (hopefully)

All printing is done via a wifi printer running from the internet.

Thanks

Harry

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the links - guess I should have done more digging on my own.

First conclusion - don't buy version S unless you want a dog collar. I doubt that the windows store will want to support Libreoffice and Firefox.

Thanks for the comment about server access, I am not that familiar with server setups and the requirements, so I really appreciate your pointing out this topic for further research.

Still working my way through the decision, especially as it relates to the ability to upgrade and change hardware vs a "once off" install. We might setup one of our computers to have it dual boot (one HD for Linux Mint and a separate HD for Win 10).

For data backup on win machines we use carbonite. HD mirrors solve some data loss issues, but if there is a natural disaster or fire, it doesn't help that much. We live in an area prone to earth quakes so having on-line backup is handy.

Speaking of HDs, I had been moving increasingly toward SSD, especially for boot time, but in December they were hard to come by, so I installed a WD gold 7200 rpm drive in my desktop and it is remarkably respectable. 20 sec boot time vs 10 isn't that bad especially for 2 T and $150.

Last edited: