• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Why so inactive?

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
Why is this subforum so inactive? It seems that there are plenty of McGizmo creations running around, which is why I'm surprised by the inactivity.

Anyway, here is a quick pic of my Haiku. I was surprised by how quickly Don delivered this light to me. The quality, as you know, is amazing. Been in my pocket since I received it.

sYHxcdS.jpg

Haiku with AA body, Hive driver and Nichia 219 LED (running 14500 cells)

Share your McGizmo lights. I know there are a ton out there that I have never seen.

ven

Flashaholic
Very nice David, congrats on an forever classic. Beautiful!
My little tana triple haiku
LvxcM88l.jpg

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
Nice triple Ven. Been thinking seriously about getting Tana to mod one for me. The output from such a little light is very impressive.

Rstype

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those that carry their haikus in their pocket. What's do you prefer to use to keep them protected from most scratches and or swirls? I will be getting one soon but would like to keep it as nice as possible.

archimedes

Flashaholic
For those that carry their haikus in their pocket. What's do you prefer to use to keep them protected from most scratches and or swirls? I will be getting one soon but would like to keep it as nice as possible.

I'm not sure if this answers your question well or not, but truly I absolutely think of these as (very very very nice) tools .... I would no more try to "protect" these, than I would a hammer or a wrench, from scratches.

Certainly I try to avoid dropping them, any avoidable damage, or the like, but I just use 'em :D

There are photos (which I can't find or link while search is down on CPF, unfortunately) of long-time members here who have used these daily for heavy mechanical and maintenance work, mountain climbing, etc, etc, and they work and look just fine to me. Yes the titanium will, of course, get marked up with mostly superficial surface scratches ... which either eventually provides a sort of stonewashed / "coin-washed" / "pocket-washed" / tumbled type of patina, or could be buffed out and re-polished.

I try to think of it like a nice watch .... If you actually wear it, it will get scratched. The only way to keep it perfect is not to use it at all.

I do make a bit of an exception for a couple of rather rare and discontinued vintage ones, but moreso because of how they are now essentially irreplaceable.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Nice triple Ven. Been thinking seriously about getting Tana to mod one for me. The output from such a little light is very impressive.

Thank you.
Another option is just buying another head(keep your one separate) and getting a tana triple. His work is very clean/perfect/clinical and a great guy to boot!

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
Awesome collection Archimedes.

Tell me more about the second Mule and the two in the last photo.

Last edited:

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
Thank you.
Another option is just buying another head(keep your one separate) and getting a tana triple. His work is very clean/perfect/clinical and a great guy to boot!

I thought about this. But I also thought about getting a Sundrop head. This head will fit my EDC a bit better I think. Then carry the Tana Triple Haiku head on the weekends.

Rstype

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure if this answers your question well or not, but truly I absolutely think of these as (very very very nice) tools .... I would no more try to "protect" these, than I would a hammer or a wrench, from scratches.

Certainly I try to avoid dropping them, any avoidable damage, or the like, but I just use 'em :D

There are photos (which I can't find or link while search is down on CPF, unfortunately) of long-time members here who have used these daily for heavy mechanical and maintenance work, mountain climbing, etc, etc, and they work and look just fine to me. Yes the titanium will, of course, get marked up with mostly superficial surface scratches ... which either eventually provides a sort of stonewashed / "coin-washed" / "pocket-washed" / tumbled type of patina, or could be buffed out and re-polished.

I try to think of it like a nice watch .... If you actually wear it, it will get scratched. The only way to keep it perfect is not to use it at all.

I do make a bit of an exception for a couple of rather rare and discontinued vintage ones, but moreso because of how they are now essentially irreplaceable.

thank you for the awesome response. I agree to think of these lights this way. I remember the one I had before I didn't mind having it scratches or swirls all over. Wanting to make it a work light but happened to see more pocket time instead. However I have definitely missed having one and hope to actually putting it to work( plumbing in my case)

archimedes

Flashaholic
WOWzers, stunning gizmo family :D

Awesome collection Archimedes.

Tell me more about the second Mule and the two in the last photo.

Thank you both.

If by "second Mule" you mean my second photo, that is the famous McGizmo Ti PD Mule.
Reference link, here ... http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?166918-Wave-of-Ti-PD-Mules-**SOLD**

The upper torch in the last photo is a McLux II Aleph 2, and this particular one was custom plated in hard chrome

The lower torch in the last photo is a common McGizmo Titanium Mule, but with a special order custom red 3-speed Osram light engine

archimedes

Flashaholic
thank you for the awesome response. I agree to think of these lights this way. I remember the one I had before I didn't mind having it scratches or swirls all over. Wanting to make it a work light but happened to see more pocket time instead. However I have definitely missed having one and hope to actually putting it to work (plumbing in my case)

I know that there are a few mechanics around here who have used a Haiku for work regularly, who could address any concerns better than I, but I think it would likely be a fine choice.

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast

Same question here. Did a search on holsters for the Haiku and came up with only one image and no mentions of holsters for the Haiku on CPF's. I needed a holster for my HDS rotary flashlight because it did not come with a good pocket clip solution. Wondering if I need a leather holster for a Haiku.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Same question here. Did a search on holsters for the Haiku and came up with only one image and no mentions of holsters for the Haiku on CPF's. I needed a holster for my HDS rotary flashlight because it did not come with a good pocket clip solution. Wondering if I need a leather holster for a Haiku.

Art of the Hide (AotH) made a line of "holesters" for the 1"-bezel sized McGizmo (and similar) flashlights, which were sold on CPF ... long since discontinued, now, however

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Art of the Hide (AotH) made a line of "holesters" for the 1"-bezel sized McGizmo (and similar) flashlights, which were sold on CPF ... long since discontinued, now, however

Thank you for the AotH source as the CPF's search engine is down now. Since AotH is out of business, I will probably will have the HDS holster maker, Hogo at Thor's Hammer Custom Leather, make a holster since the Haiku has a pocket clip and will therefore not fit in my HDS Kydex holster.

nollij

Newly Enlightened
Why is this subforum so inactive? It seems that there are plenty of McGizmo creations running around, which is why I'm surprised by the inactivity.

Anyway, here is a quick pic of my Haiku. I was surprised by how quickly Don delivered this light to me. The quality, as you know, is amazing. Been in my pocket since I received it.

sYHxcdS.jpg

Haiku with AA body, Hive driver and Nichia 219 LED (running 14500 cells)

Share your McGizmo lights. I know there are a ton out there that I have never seen.

I wish I had a McGizmo light to share photos of. Lord, they are works of functional art! Are they sold purely though CPF? I wonder how much it would cost me to own one...

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
I wish I had a McGizmo light to share photos of. Lord, they are works of functional art! Are they sold purely though CPF? I wonder how much it would cost me to own one...

You can email Don directly. He has the prices listed on CPF, but they are sold directly through him via email. Here is the link with prices: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...mo-Available-Lights-Pricing-and-Ordering-Info

He responds very quickly, can typically get you a light within a week or two.