Advices on disassembling the Fenix TK15UE's head ?

Jesse_hoang

Newly Enlightened
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18RcR0bmwkWIeb9OIWblUSyFTCUG_nb3L/view?usp=drivesdk
I've got a TK15UE and Loved it. It's a very solid and reliable light and i think it would be great if i swap the Led to the neutral white tint one.
The problem is its head is glued, which Fenix does to most of their Flashlights. Hence, i'm looking for a solution to disassemble the head without damaging the light and the reflector as well. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
all thread-locking compound is susceptible to heat. Meaning you heat it up by boiling in a plastic bag, or more direct, use a torch. Carefully, as it doesn't take much, but more than say, what a hair dryer would produce.

I use a simple propane torch and hold the flashlight in a 2x4 that I've drilled a 1" hole into and cut in half. You clamp the flashlight in with a bench vise and start heating. I just use a good pair of leather gloves, but some people like to use those rubber strap wrenches.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have that light, but assuming this is a simple threaded assembly, my general advice is like this-

-I would say that MOST thread lock compound is like Loctite, which softens at about 250C (482F). Smoking hot. Loctite says to disassemble while hot. I use an electric heat gun. However, some internal plastic parts, like LED centering devices or plastic reflectors, may melt, so caution is advised.

-Some lights seem to use heat resistant glue. I've found some Fenix, 4 Sevens, and Jetbeams with this problem, heat did not seem to help. The heat/cool cycles may have helped.

-I have a soft-jaw tubing vise, actually my bicycle work stand. Together with various bits of rubber inner tube, neoprene pads, and rubber strap wrenches, I have not yet been beaten by a light, although some have come close. Once or twice, I have caused some internal damage and scratches trying to remove internal light engines. Some lights require a lot of brute force just to get things turning. I mean A LOT! Like breaking cheap strap wrenches.

-Loctite-type compounds will not set up on anodized aluminum and other inactive metals - you have to use a primer if you want to reassemble with Loctite. They have a list of metals that work.

-There is always a risk you will ruin a light by trying to take it apart. Good luck.