Streamlight vs Fenix Lantern - rechrgeable vs primary cell version

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for a no nonsense lantern for my aunt. Want to keep it simple. The contenders,

Streamlight Siege (alkaline) or Super Siege ( Li-ion pack) vs the Fenix CL30R (3 cell 18650's;

1) Super Siege = lithium pack great runtime and easy to use, 1100 lumens max, no other parts needed. Not replaceable though. life expectancy. Per Sreamlight, currently lifetime warranty and would replace the pack. I'd like the ability to have a back up pack in case longer runtimes are needed.

2) Seige = 3 D cells, Eneloops would prob work as well, but I'd need to buy them and a charger for it. Only 540 lumens max

3) Fenix = Doesn't look as robust, not as many hanging options, but can have as many backup cells as needed. May need to also supply my own charger unless I want to use the built in charger.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'd get the Super Siege now if they ran replaceable Li_ions or had the ability to have a extra battery pack.

Want to keep it simple for my 70 yr old aunt to use as an emergency light.

Thanks!

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have either of those lanterns but do have a Fenix CL25R and love that one. That one is fairly popular. Me personally I would not get the Seige because of the 3 D cell configuration. But maybe I'm wrong there for an older person. The Super Siege I'm frowning on because of the proprietary built in battery like you are.

A few years ago the Rayovac Sportsman LED lantern was fairly popular. It ran on 3 D batteries too. Once I got the CL25R, I got rid of the Rayovac.

The CL25R might be fairly simple to use if she doesn't have to unscrew the cap and take out the battery. But since it has built in USB charging she shouldn't have to. My thoughts on the necessity of having a bright lantern are that in an emergency situation that may only be temporary, and where even with the brightest lanterns, one is living with a compromise since it won't be as bright as house lights.............that maybe you can go with something that isn't the brightest. So I guess what I'm saying is, don't necessarily overlook those that only put out a couple hundred lumens. 200 lumens is still a lot of light in an emergency situation. Also its a good idea to not run them on their highest output if expecting a long term outage because the highest setting usually drains the battery fairly quick. 2nd to the highest level on the Fenix CL25R is 200 lumens for 5 hours (one 18650 battery).

Another thing to consider is that a regular ole flashlight tail standing or sitting in a coffee cup pointing at the ceiling is a pretty good lantern. I may have a couple dozen flashlights but only 2 lanterns. I kind of like having the light bouncing off of the ceiling because looking at a lantern can be kind of blinding. When camping its kind of hard playing cards at the picnic table with a lantern right in front of you. They work best when hanging from above. The only problem with the CL25R in that respect is that you get a dark area under it because of the base of the lantern blocking the light. (Hopefully you follow what I mean by that).

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Nitecore just came out with its LA-30 (250-lumens at its brightest) which runs either on 2 AA batteries OR on its built in rechargable battery, very similar to the Fenix CL-20. Like the Fenix, it has both a magnet, a hook, and quite portable.

Frottage

Newly Enlightened
I have all those lanterns, as well as the siege AA. I live in South Florida where hurricanes and storms knock out power with some frequency and these lanterns see some use. I found them all to work well, and select them based on size considerations and battery form factor. I tend to prefer the Fenix, but mainly for the battery consistency with my flashlights. Not knowing your aunt, I tend to recommend the siege d cell or aa to non-flashlight nerds. 18650 is a superior power source, but can be tricky for the uninitiated.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Much appreciated everyone. The above input helps immensely. I'm still torn as to what to go with, but for simple form factor I'm leaning towards the siege 3D cell configuration. It just dawned upon me today however the D cells do not come in a lithium form factor like I was hoping. I could always use the Eneloops I suppose however. I would like her to simply be able to leave the sales in the flashlight long-term wise without worry of corrosion.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought two Siege D lanterns a few years back and gave one to my GF, for her place.

They work well and while I'd like a Fenix, I got the two Siege for only a little more than the Fenix.

I lost power for 84 hours during Irma last September and while I have lots of lights here, candles did most of the yeoman's work.

Chris

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thing to consider is that a regular ole flashlight tail standing or sitting in a coffee cup pointing at the ceiling is a pretty good lantern. I may have a couple dozen flashlights but only 2 lanterns. I kind of like having the light bouncing off of the ceiling because looking at a lantern can be kind of blinding. When camping its kind of hard playing cards at the picnic table with a lantern right in front of you. They work best when hanging from above. The only problem with the CL25R in that respect is that you get a dark area under it because of the base of the lantern blocking the light. (Hopefully you follow what I mean by that).

I also think this is seriously worth considering. Lanterns have their uses, but the glare can be an obstacle.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also think this is seriously worth considering. Lanterns have their uses, but the glare can be an obstacle.

In all honesty that's what I'll do if ever needed. I'm not sure my aunt would even think of doing this though. For her needs a lantern will work better for her. The ceiling bounce method though is a much more pleasant light though, I do agree.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Streamlight 3xAA and is great. I have phased out the C and D types batteries long time ago. The Streamlight Lantern 3xAA is a masterpiece if design.

Fenix does not belong with Streamlight in the sentence. The 5 or 6 pieces of E05 flashlight that no longer work is proof what piece of crap Fenix reliability is and proof that Fenix warranty support is utter disgrace they will not warranty any of them when I am the original owner bought from authorized dealer.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again all! I really appreciate the input!

i decided to go with the 3D cell Streamlight Siege for my aunt. She already had a bunch of D cells she's told me. It's a simple platform and should work great for her needs. I actually bought one for myself to try it out and loved it so much, I'm keeping it! The 540 lumens are plenty bright for everyday needs, the medium setting is actually plenty as well. It just had more to offer over the Fenix CL30R. I might even by the AA version as well as I like the thought of being able to run the Lithium cells in it and it's a nice compact size.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Marinemaster, we wanted to touch base concerning your comment about the Fenix warranty. Fenix offers a very generous 5-year warranty (5 1/2 years if you register your light). If a Fenix light is older than 5 years old, Fenix can still service the light for a nominal fee for the parts. No matter if you are the original owner or who you purchased a Fenix light from, the warranty is a FACTORY WARRANTY. It is then a matter of contacting an authorized Fenix Warranty and Repair Center in the USA. That Center will direct you as to which Center will handle your repair. Simply put, the light's serial number tells you where your Center is. (Each Warranty Center maintains lights based on light serial numbers) So to know where your Center is, just call one of the authorized Warranty Centers, provide your serial number, and they will take it from there. You can call 800-616-1326 (M-F, 9-5 CT) or email [email protected]. If you email, all you need to provide is your serial and country. We would like to assist further by hearing of your experience. Please email [email protected] if you would like to provide additional information or if you have further comments/questions.

I have the Streamlight 3xAA and is great. I have phased out the C and D types batteries long time ago. The Streamlight Lantern 3xAA is a masterpiece if design.

Fenix does not belong with Streamlight in the sentence. The 5 or 6 pieces of E05 flashlight that no longer work is proof what piece of crap Fenix reliability is and proof that Fenix warranty support is utter disgrace they will not warranty any of them when I am the original owner bought from authorized dealer.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marinemaster, we wanted to touch base concerning your comment about the Fenix warranty. Fenix offers a very generous 5-year warranty (5 1/2 years if you register your light). If a Fenix light is older than 5 years old, Fenix can still service the light for a nominal fee for the parts. No matter if you are the original owner or who you purchased a Fenix light from, the warranty is a FACTORY WARRANTY. It is then a matter of contacting an authorized Fenix Warranty and Repair Center in the USA. That Center will direct you as to which Center will handle your repair. Simply put, the light's serial number tells you where your Center is. (Each Warranty Center maintains lights based on light serial numbers) So to know where your Center is, just call one of the authorized Warranty Centers, provide your serial number, and they will take it from there. You can call 800-616-1326 (M-F, 9-5 CT) or email [email protected]. If you email, all you need to provide is your serial and country. We would like to assist further by hearing of your experience. Please email [email protected] if you would like to provide additional information or if you have further comments/questions.

NICE 👍🏼