Walmart's store brand 3-way LED bulbs are wired backwards

haha1234

Newly Enlightened
Not sure whether this belongs in the LED forum or the fixed lighting forum. It's one of those regular household E26/E27 screw LED bulbs that replace the old filament bulbs and save energy.

Anyway, Walmart's store brand 3-way LED bulb is wired backwards. That is, when you first turn it on, it';s at the highest setting. Turn it again, the second setting. The finally, the lowest. Then off again. Repeat.
off -> high -> medium -> low -> off

The old incandescent 3-way bulbs always went the opposite way
off -> low -> medium -> high -> off

I tried another brand of LED 3-way, and it is wired correctly and goes low-medium-high like the filament bulbs do/did. eBay item #352322333536

Walmart bulb

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are these traditional 3-way bulbs with a 3rd contact on the base? Or are one of the newer types that can operate at different brightness levels even when not installed in 3-way lamps by cycling through low-medium-high when turned on and off repeatedly?

It doesn't necessarily sound like they're wired backwards as in a mistake was made. I could rather be that the manufacturer chose to reverse the mode order because the way LED 3-way bulbs are designed allows them to start with high first, where as with incandescent 3-way bulbs, the order is determined by the lamp they're installed in.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a pack of those for a friend.
Most of them worked the reverse of what I'm used to (high, med, low) and one of them worked HIGH, LOW, MED. Not thinking too highly of their quality control.

I have found that I really like FEIT brand which I generally get from ACE hardware.

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
I bought a pack of those for a friend.
Most of them worked the reverse of what I'm used to (high, med, low) and one of them worked HIGH, LOW, MED. Not thinking too highly of their quality control.

I have found that I really like FEIT brand which I generally get from ACE hardware.

Nothing to do with quality, more likely they changed control IC or IC vendors. It's possible they ordered the wrong one.

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
Um, if so then a mistake like that is pretty much the definition of poor quality control.

If they purposely changed the control IC to save a few pennies that is not a quality control issue that is a MFG issue. If they ordered the wrong IC ... yep, quality control, but odds far more likely the former. It was a conscious decision.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not be surprised if they simply get new bids from time to time to have a bulb with roughly the same specs and perhaps the same appearance made, and the differences observed are due to batches made by different contract manufacturers.