Anectodal testament, concerning IKEA 2450s, AA, NiMH.

SweD

Newly Enlightened
In short, as subject states, I don't have the test equipment in place like HKJ and others do, so can't vouch for anything I say, but here goes and take it for what it's worth.

In terms of retaining charge after charge and over time, they are better than anything I've tried, albeit close to my trusted Maha-Powerex brands.
Peak charge in a camera flash/Total watt hours. Just as wonderful as eneloops and as good as the Maha 2700.

As you all know, proper tests take time, so this is just from an amateur user to another based on limited experience.

The IKEAs are incredible, in terms of bang per buck. :-D

I thought Eneloops and Mahas were the gold standards, always have been in my life, and they probably still are, but at the price point that IKEA offers for their cells, I almost don't care, I get all the benefit from the Cells, at a so much reduced price. Don't know what I'm missing, but I feel.... "Sneaky" getting two packs of AAs from IKEA, as compared to one set from Panasonic or Maha.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maha batteries have never been the gold standard. Eneloops are, or batteries sourced from the FDK plant in Japan.

While you'll get more capacity out of the high cap. LSD batteries, it comes at the expense of life cycles, so pick your poison.

Ikea doesn't 'make' batteries and if they're 'made in Japan' they're most probably sourced from the FDK plant, which is owned by Fujitsu and which makes Eneloops (among others) for Panasonic.

Chris

SweD

Newly Enlightened
Maha batteries have never been the gold standard. Eneloops are, or batteries sourced from the FDK plant in Japan.

While you'll get more capacity out of the high cap. LSD batteries, it comes at the expense of life cycles, so pick your poison.

Ikea doesn't 'make' batteries and if they're 'made in Japan' they're most probably sourced from the FDK plant, which is owned by Fujitsu and which makes Eneloops (among others) for Panasonic.

Chris

Point taken regarding the Mahas, I was a tad sloppy in my wording, there's nothing objective about anything of the above, just my own experience, so regarding Maha, for instance, it's just what I've always used and never had an issue, purely subjective. :-D

I'm aware that IKEA don't make any batteries, I'm just a bit amazed at the price point considering the value and usefulness of the cells in comparison to others. Some USD 7.75 for a pack of 4 is to me a bargain, which is really the main point of my post.

/Dennis

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Point taken regarding the Mahas, I was a tad sloppy in my wording, there's nothing objective about anything of the above, just my own experience, so regarding Maha, for instance, it's just what I've always used and never had an issue, purely subjective. :-D

I'm aware that IKEA don't make any batteries, I'm just a bit amazed at the price point considering the value and usefulness of the cells in comparison to others. Some USD 7.75 for a pack of 4 is to me a bargain, which is really the main point of my post.

/Dennis

I've got two IKEA stores here in Miami and I've never seen a rechargeable battery in either of them, over about 10 visits and 8 years.

Don't know what's up with that? I did see some alkaleaks on a visit, but no NiMH batteries.

If I need them in a pinch, which I don't, my supermarket sells the Energizer 2300mAh AAs 'made in Japan' for $11/quad and the Duracell Ion Core for about the same. Walmart and Target have them as well.

Chris

SweD

Newly Enlightened
I've got two IKEA stores here in Miami and I've never seen a rechargeable battery in either of them, over about 10 visits and 8 years.

Don't know what's up with that? I did see some alkaleaks on a visit, but no NiMH batteries.

If I need them in a pinch, which I don't, my supermarket sells the Energizer 2300mAh AAs 'made in Japan' for $11/quad and the Duracell Ion Core for about the same. Walmart and Target have them as well.

Chris

No idea what's up with that, but at least they're available on the us website for IKEA, can't vouch for specific shops of course.
I've also seen suggestions that they're re-wrapped eneloops, based on test characteristics but that's for others to confirm or debunk.

Either way, this would be the link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=ladda

/Dennis

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
They are rebranded eneloop pro cells. I've been using them in my son's toys for a few months now. They are killer! I went to get more of the AAA variety last weekend and there was an empty display (that held at least 50 packs). So the word might be out lol.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
I've had one of 8 AA's that won't hold much charge after 3 cycles the others are fine. I've also run some of the aaa lite and they've been great. More battery life than I expected.

SweD

Newly Enlightened
They are rebranded eneloop pro cells. I've been using them in my son's toys for a few months now. They are killer! I went to get more of the AAA variety last weekend and there was an empty display (that held at least 50 packs). So the word might be out lol.

Makes sense, if it's confirmed. I've always used Maha/Powerex cells, as well as their chargers. These "Ladda" cells, which means "To charge", or "Charge!" in Swedish, are both cheaper than even Duracells and Energizes, not to mention Eneloops/Powerex, of which I have nothing much good to say, those you buy in supermarkets, Duracell and Energizer that is. I've bought a bunch of them now IKEAs, because at that price and performance you can't go wrong. They're fully stocked here in Sweden, and I'm good to go with IKEA from here on it would seem.

/Dennis

Last edited: