• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Body Compatibility Questions with SF E2L AA / Malkoff MD2 / Malkoff VME + MDC...

bigfoot

Enlightened
A few specific questions about the E-series/Scout v5 Head and the P60 v5 Drop-In. Thinking about trying to utilize existing bodies that I have here to step into Oveready goodness, but not so sure this would work. Don't want my first experience to create any magic smoke. Any tips or info greatly appreciated!

- Can a stock SureFire E2L AA body and switch run the E/Scout v5 Head as-is? A pair of lithium AA's would be like running a single CR123 primary, but will Eneloop NiMHs work? (Kinda figuring not, since their voltage is so much lower.)

- Can a stock Malkoff MD2 body and switch run the P60 v5 Drop-In off a pair of CR123 primaries? Or would the v5 Drop-In not quite fit, or have some other compatibility problem?

- What about a Malkoff VME head paired with a stock 1x CR123 MDC body, but running the P60 v5 Drop-In?

Mostly a CR123 primary user here. Think the Oveready stuff looks great, especially for the 219's color rendition and secondary red / amber LEDs. I'm not likely to be activating the barn burner modes, so I realize I'm limited to how high I can go with the settings. If all of this is too complicated, I'll probably just go the dedicated BOSS route, but thought I'd check first and see. :D

archimedes

Flashaholic
A few specific questions about the E-series/Scout v5 Head and the P60 v5 Drop-In. Thinking about trying to utilize existing bodies that I have here to step into Oveready goodness, but not so sure this would work. Don't want my first experience to create any magic smoke. Any tips or info greatly appreciated!

OK, I'll try :)

By "P60 v5 Drop-In" ... you mean the (Oveready) TorchLAB P60 v5 Triple ?

- Can a stock SureFire E2L AA body and switch run the E/Scout v5 Head as-is? A pair of lithium AA's would be like running a single CR123 primary, but will Eneloop NiMHs work? (Kinda figuring not, since their voltage is so much lower.)

No, inadequate power, incl voltage too low.

- Can a stock Malkoff MD2 body and switch run the P60 v5 Drop-In off a pair of CR123 primaries? Or would the v5 Drop-In not quite fit, or have some other compatibility problem?

No, the dropin will be too large to fit inside of the MDx bezel.

- What about a Malkoff VME head paired with a stock 1x CR123 MDC body, but running the P60 v5 Drop-In?

No, the dropin will be too large to fit inside of the VME bezel. Also, inadequate power (on 1x primary) .

Mostly a CR123 primary user here. Think the Oveready stuff looks great, especially for the 219's color rendition and secondary red / amber LEDs. I'm not likely to be activating the barn burner modes, so I realize I'm limited to how high I can go with the settings. If all of this is too complicated, I'll probably just go the dedicated BOSS route, but thought I'd check first and see. :D

The Lux-RC engine is limited on its 2xCR123A (primary) setting, as you note.

Last edited:

bigfoot

Enlightened
Yep, meant to say the Torch LAB P60 v5 Triple. :huh: Thanks for the info!

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm using an OR V4 Triple (same size as V5) in my MD2 with a 22.3 head
The only thing stopping it fitting is the retaining ring. There's a rebate in the ring which is too small to fit around the base of the drop in. I sent mine to Martin D White (of this parish) who opened out the rebate and made it fit. He also made me a heatsink to slip between the drop in and the the head.
The V5 engine can be programmed to run on a pair of primaries, but the output will be restricted.
The stock switch is a McClicky, which should be good for 6 amps. I use OR ZeroRez 'cos I like them.
This is my most used and abused light.
P
md2 triple.jpg

TRIPLE BITS.jpg

Last edited:

bigfoot

Enlightened
Hey Peter -- that's a good looking light! :thumbsup: Thanks for the info on that, guess as a newb to drop-ins and the like, I figured that "P60" meant it was plug and play. Happy I checked here first! :)

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is plug and play with most hosts. In Surefire and the like, the drop in sits in the top of the battery tube and the head screws down over it. Malkoffs have the drop in in the head held in by the ring. The OR drop ins are so well machined that in a SF host there's is suction when you pull it out. No such tight fitment in the Malkoff, hence the heatsink.
Here's a link to one of Martin's threads..
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...tions-to-convert-Malkoff-MD2-to-quot-MD1-quot

He posted a picture of his mod for me on instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXOpVG_lCi5/?taken-by=martinmakesstuff
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXEVlEVlqwX/?taken-by=martinmakesstuff
P

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Cool stuff peter!

a few more points for OP:

full power on v5 requires 5+ amps

surefire clicky switches will retard performance and should be replaced with
https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/torchlab-mcclicky-self-installation-clicky-for-z57-z61-e/

CR123 cells should not be pushed above 1 amp. v5 can be programed with this limit but this is much less than 50% of potential

AA lithium cells may be even lower. Eneloops may work in theory, but you would need like 6 in series. IMR 14500 cells are recommended for AA size bodies

there is a P60 standard but malkoff/elzetta have a unique smaller size that is incompatible (module -> host) with other options. special modifications are needed to make larger p60 lamps working in malkoff size hosts

18mm cells are recommended for most applications

Last edited:

bigfoot

Enlightened
Thanks much for all of that info! :rolleyes:

:whistle:What I'm hearing is that for a newb like myself, it will be much simpler to look at getting a BOSS... :devil:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well if you want encouragement, you've come to the right place.
The only thing that put me off the BOSS was the clicky switch. I really don't like them, so I got a Wasp - best decision I ever made.

THREE.jpg

P

bigfoot

Enlightened
Nice collection there!

Maybe we ought to change the name from "Candlepower Forums" to "Candlepower Enablers"... :laughing: