Strange iPhone photo names

markr6

Flashaholic
I just updated to the latest ios on my iPhone 6S so I'm not sure if that matters. But after taking a bunch of photos over the past 3 days I noticed about 15 photos don't have the IMG1234.jpg format. They have random names like:

GWSU1269.JPG
BPQR2941.JPG

Any ideas what's going on?

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible some of the photos were taken or edited with a third party app rather than the standard iPhone camera?

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I wonder if it's related to the HEIC format system.
A new high efficiency storage system rolled out in ios11.

Perhaps turning off the HEIC by 'settings/camera/formats' will put it back like it was. That would make the camera only use a jpeg based file storage if I understood correctly. It seems the new system allows better compression for older devices and for cloud storage.

If you are looking at your images in Windows 10 it may be that Microsoft conversion stuff hasn't learned to play nice with the new HEIC yet. Apparently some have found that to be the case.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I don't remember doing any edits on the phone. And the HEIC wasn't a problem in the past with 11, 11.1 etc. I'll play around with it some more and see. It really screws up your trip not being in chronological order. I can't even sort by time since that was messed up too, which is very strange.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It really screws up your trip not being in chronological order. I can't even sort by time since that was messed up too, which is very strange.

Agreed.
I read your first post and thought "uh, that's bad... would cause big problems with organization and work flow." :banghead:

Hopefully it's not something bad on your end.

Good question StarHalo. :popcorn:

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Not live or burst either. My photos are a real mess. I'm just going to delete most of them (on my computer anyway) and go from there. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

markr6

Flashaholic
Is it possible some of the photos were taken or edited with a third party app rather than the standard iPhone camera?

Sorry, I was wrong. This does seem to be the case. I did take some with my GPS app. They never saved in the normal camera folder before; but after the ios update and GPS app update, I guess that changed.