How To Calculate Run Time?

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, new guy here.

I would like to calculate run time on a proposed light. What is the calculation? What all needs to be considered to get a decent estimate?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Sorry, new guy here.

I would like to calculate run time on a proposed light. What is the calculation? What all needs to be considered to get a decent estimate?

Calculate, or measure ?

Rough calculation can be done from knowing capacity and current draw, then solving for time.

Be aware that this provides only an approximation, as most flashlights are not regulated perfectly flat, and actual battery capacity varies (potentially quite significantly) with many factors (not least of which is current draw, incidentally) .

But simple division should get you in the ballpark ....

Last edited:

terryoregon

Newly Enlightened
You will want to look up the ANSI FL-1 spec on runtime.

The amount of continuous runtime (in minutes) until the light output drops to 10% of its original value (measured 30 seconds after turning the light on).

Then you will have to decide exactly HOW you want to test for runtime (there are many roads). On my lights, I use a light-meter-data-logger, using batteries in the light with a known capacity. No "calculations" necessary.

9d8hh3xm0yb7ivi6g.jpg

Last edited:

orionlightlight

Newly Enlightened
Calculate, or measure ?

Rough calculation can be done from knowing capacity and current draw, then solving for time.

Be aware that this provides only an approximation, as most flashlights are not regulated perfectly flat, and actual battery capacity varies (potentially quite significantly) with many factors (not least of which is current draw, incidentally) .

I'm interested in knowing the calculations as well. What is the formula exactly?

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'm interested in knowing the calculations as well. What is the formula exactly?

.... Rough calculation can be done from knowing capacity and current draw, then solving for time.

Already posted (see above) ....

Amp-hrs / Amps = hours