materials for custom knives question

HouseBuilder328

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to get a better understanding of material but could not find this particular material for handles - Westinghouse or antique Westinghouse? What is that?

Seems like a creme/yellow material that looks beautiful and people say it's expensive? Can anyone clarify what this material is, strengths and weaknesses? David Mosier seems to use it a lot.

How about ivory mircata? I know mircata but ivory mircata looks different.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Westinghouse developed and produced Micarta, a trademarked brand name, which encompasses a variety of plastic composites.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Please be careful you don't end up with Chinese plastic made to look Ivory Micarta, there are thousands of knife makers, and they are selling Chinese made parts for huge sums of money, profit.

Want a fixed blade? Call Randall, folder? Call Hinderer, and add a SAK, that's all you need, and you are certain of everything being in check. Man would I love to name the Con. Ex., that is that won't honor his warranty...when honor is so honorable, it is an honor to have your honorable knife repaired by some one so honorable, well you get the idea.

Be careful, I tossed a $450.00 custom knife off the 30th St. bridge in Philadelphia because he has NO SPARE PARTS!!! The Cops asked what I was doing because I smashed it with a dead blow hammer, and I tossed the knife in the filthy river, and the cops loved it when I threw the Hammer in as well. It still had the price tag on it!! I owned it like 15 minutes?

Really, with Spyderco, and Benchmade, you are set. Good luck with whatever way you decide to go, just beware!!!!

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
It was sad, because I watched outside Plaza cutlery, in Costa Mesa, CA at the South Coast plaza as my wife laid out the money for it. And then NO WARRANTY!!!! Nothing, zip, zero, nada!!!

This is has nothing to do with Plaza Cutlery, they are just a dealer of this BOZO!!

The custom flashlight makers are all above board!

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about ivory mircata? I know mircata but ivory mircata looks different.[/QUOTE]

If you know micarta, you essentially know Westinghouse. As Archimedes said it was micarta made by Westinghouse. There is a TON of info on it online I'm not sure why you are having trouble finding it. I have seen small sheets go for upwards of 250 dollars. !!!