Suggestions needed - how to use multiple usb lights

iggs

Newly Enlightened
I have a bag of about 50 of these USB lights

220a7aa17780dccce34689e7f3d126d8.jpg

Any suggestions on a "project" they could be used in?

I've built a couple of lights in the past and can solder etc but I'm certainly no electronics engineer so need a bit of help with that too

Eg - I have been thinking about bias lighting for my tv. Could I wire a few of them up to my TV's USB port to get this kind of effect

622455300030459b0bdc53a61508414a.jpg

Wiring them up in a group would be handy for some camping uses too. I have a solar panel I don't use much and a few freebie usb batteries I could use

Any help greatly appreciated

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first thing that pops into my head are lights that kids can throw into a swimming pool and dive for them.

I am assuming that there is a battery inside or is the power via the USB port?

iggs

Newly Enlightened
The first thing that pops into my head are lights that kids can throw into a swimming pool and dive for them.

I am assuming that there is a battery inside or is the power via the USB port?

Interesting idea [emoji362]

Power is via the USB port

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Staying with simple concepts, it seems like more or less the 3 LEDs are resistor regulated, so they just accept in a 4 ish volt input and turn on.

The USB port portion is really just a mechanical way to deliver the power - right?

If you found some coin cells that could feed the input, that could work for a little while.

If there is an easy way to pull out the circuit board, you could desolder the usb port and use the extra space for the battery compartment.

iggs

Newly Enlightened
Staying with simple concepts, it seems like more or less the 3 LEDs are resistor regulated, so they just accept in a 4 ish volt input and turn on.

The USB port portion is really just a mechanical way to deliver the power - right?

If you found some coin cells that could feed the input, that could work for a little while.

If there is an easy way to pull out the circuit board, you could desolder the usb port and use the extra space for the battery compartment.

I think you are right about the power supply

Very basic electronics question:

If I connected up a load of these in parallel would they just draw 4V & how ever many amps they needed?

Thinking I could make a nice big work/desk light that was powered by a rechargeable usb power supply

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, they would draw whatever current they need. USB is supposed to be 5V, though, so they might be pretty dim at 4V.