Fenix UC02 SS

colight

Enlightened
Hi guys.

Due to the search function not being available, I don't know if this question has ever been asked, so please bear with me. I am considering buying this little beauty, but I'm a little concerned specifically about its scratch resistancy. If any of you own this specific stainless steel version, would you be so kind as to share your experience with this? I carry the aluminum version with me every single day, and I can see the effect of that, albeit small considering the period that I've had it. I am fully aware that the SS version will also show some wear and tear after some time. Will it damage easily or can I safely carry it knowing it can take some hammering?

Your thoughts, please good people?
J

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not familiar with this one, but I prefer aluminum over most any other metal. Mostly due to the lightweight nature of it, but also lower cost. Yes it may ding more, but the threads are ALWAYS smoother and most other metals also mark up as well from daily carry. Also al is cheaper. Just my 2 cents.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been carrying the Jetbeam Mini in SS for about the last year, and it is great, although one of the two I got had a rubbish battery, but I bought a few spares which are fine. The SS holds up fantastic, like my other SS lights. Unlike aluminum, if you do get a scuff or scratch, you can polish it out like it never happened. As far as weight, these things are so small, well, who cares?

Basically, SS is the absolute most durable, and repairable, material to get. But it kinda sucks for heat dissipation - but that is only a factor for lights that are going to be run at very high levels for extended times. 10180 users probably don't need to get to worried.

I have not had the Fenix version, but the only thing I don't care for on the Mini is how far I need to twist. I need almost a full turn off to make sure it is not coming on when pressed against in my pocket, and when it first starts coming on in low, it is flickery, due to the soft dome it is contacting with. I need to twist until just short of hitting high, about 3/4 turn, to get truly solid operation on low. All a small price to pay for the rest of the package, IMHO.

Sos24

Enlightened
I have one that I carried about a year on my keychain and it shows hardly any wear, definitely not as much as the aluminum (different brand) one that I carried before it.

colight

Enlightened
Also al is cheaper. Just my 2 cents.
No doubt about that, djans, but the ss looks so much more attractive! :D

Unlike aluminum, if you do get a scuff or scratch, you can polish it out like it never happened. As far as weight, these things are so small, well, who cares?

Basically, SS is the absolute most durable, and repairable, material to get. But it kinda sucks for heat dissipation - but that is only a factor for lights that are going to be run at very high levels for extended times. 10180 users probably don't need to get to worried.

I have not had the Fenix version, but the only thing I don't care for on the Mini is how far I need to twist. I need almost a full turn off to make sure it is not coming on when pressed against in my pocket, and when it first starts coming on in low, it is flickery, due to the soft dome it is contacting with. I need to twist until just short of hitting high, about 3/4 turn, to get truly solid operation on low. All a small price to pay for the rest of the package, IMHO.
Hondo, thanks for that advice. I didn't know or think that it could be possible to just polish out those marks, so some advice about that if you don't mind, please? About the weight I totally agree, and as for heat dissipation, I don't think this is really the kind of light that will be used for extended periods, right? I doubt if I will use it any differently than my aluminum one, and about the aluminum - I've had similar experiences to this, but not often. I make sure that I turn it out properly, but tbh I never counted the amount of turns.

I have one that I carried about a year on my keychain and it shows hardly any wear, definitely not as much as the aluminum (different brand) one that I carried before it.
Sos24, thank you for this. This is similar to what Hondo said, so I assume that I don't have to worry too much about that, then.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carried a Wee Stainless Steel on my keyring for 8-9 years now, and it has very fine scratches, but no deep gouges. There's no obvious thinning around the attachment point either. In terms of scratch resistance, stainless steel is about as good as you can get for keychain duty.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hondo, thanks for that advice. I didn't know or think that it could be possible to just polish out those marks, so some advice about that if you don't mind, please?

Since it is a raw metal, just choose a grit of silicon carbide ("wet/dry") paper appropriate for the indiscretion. 340 grit will take out some serious gouges. If you want a satin finish, just stop when you like it, at say 600 - 1000 grit. For a mirror finish work down to the finest you have, I use 2000 grit for my final step, and try not to skip grades. Then buff on a wheel if you have it, or use a compound like Flitz, I have some Simichrome that works great.

colight

Enlightened
Guys, thanks again for all of your advice! As so many other people have said already, this is why CPF is considered the best all-round forum on the 'net - all the info always available from others! :twothumbs