Tactical Flashlight ring

RoBeacon

Enlightened
Seen a product on Amazon today that's a tactical ring and clip for your flashlight. Is anyone running one? What scenarios do you use it? Are you even aware they exist?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raven concealment? Thrym Switchback? Surefire grip ring?

I use the latter two, or sometimes a makeshift rig of a lanyard loop and a fat O-ring, but only for retention. Not into firearms. They serve me well because I dislike wrist lanyards, still less losing my flashlight in the dark. Anything in particular you'd like to know?

RoBeacon

Enlightened
I saw the switchback. I was just curious as to the practicality. It looks like it adds quite a bit of size to something you generally want to be small. I don't have any firearms and really was just curious in what scenario I would use one? I don't really see a need for it but I've never used one. Might love it if I use one. I think 4 sevens made a rubber one and I had their palm grip one that covered your entire hand bough always found them more cumbersome than useful. As an enthusiast just curious when I see new products.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Items such as these are included in the training of folks who rely on lighting tools (among other things) as part of their duties. So they practice, practice, practice until the items are second nature to them.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, the Surefire "combat" rings are indispensable when I'm walking outside for any length of time. They provide an extremely secure grip. Couldn't drop the light if I wanted to!

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always liked the grip rings on the SF Z-series (slightly less, w/ the C-series); so that I also put one of SF's rubber 'spacer rings' on my U2 as sort of a low-profile grip ring. A considerable improvement IMO. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60h9gzccpka0ro9/IMG_7967.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mi4n3r35d7wqun1/IMG_7968.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bit9qaao4ltg25/IMG_7970.JPG?dl=0

I've said this on the forum a few times, but I miss my U2. Every time I see one, I mourn for mine, which is resting eternally at the bottom of the Mississippi River. RIP, SFU2!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Another member suggested a plumbing o-ring for one we found a bit slippery.
Nowhere near as stout nor as sturdy as a dedicated grip ring but I was impressed with the confidence a #12 adds to small body lights like E series or #15 for the 25mm stuff. Especially the 1 cell length lights.

IMG_20180416_203550.jpg

Thanks for the tip gurdygurds

Last edited:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Late to the show but if you're looking for help with just holding onto your light and not a dedicated combat grip I use friction tape (Google it - most hardware or big box stores should have it) and/or o-rings (try two o-rings next to each other). Cheap, effective, easy to replace. It works very well especially in the wet and the cold. And yeah, the tape smells for a couple of days but that doesn't last and its not that bad.