Small to medium floody light

Robe

Enlightened
I pined for a Malkoff Hound Dog for a while. When the Mrs. asked for a light for some walks to the bus stop I saw my in! I love the light, and have no plans to get rid of it, but it's not what I ended up needing for my more frequent uses. I've now got my eye on a Wildcat V6, eyeing the slightly smaller MD3 body, but m wondering what other lights I am missing out on. (Bonus Q: Gene sells 18500 batteries. I've seen some other slightly higher capacity versions that are slightly thicker - any issues fitting these, if anyone knows what I mean?) I've also considered the floody 18650 options from ZL, or tracking down a flood reflector for the rotary I own.

Just not positive what's all out there.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

Irrelevant

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

TBD

3) Format:

Flashlight

4) Size:

Irrelevant / lean towards medium/smaller

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED / love the neutral and warmer tints, especially Nichia 219B. No CW!

6) Manufacturer:

Prefer buy outright

7) What power source do you want to use?

Rechargeable, likely 18650/18500, X1, X2…, something like that.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
____I want a light that plugs directly into the wall (literally with prongs built into the light)
____I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
____I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)
____I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)

Any of these

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

Light up a good portion of a yard/room. Short to medium range. Throw not important.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.

Either of these. Some more throw isn't an issue, but good flood is the goal.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
50 yards MAX – less okay

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

Not that important.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Important/very important

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

I like forward clickies, but am not committed one way or another.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

High/low is all I need. Additional levels are fine. Don't want to deal with disco or SOS modes.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

Alum is fine

15) Water resistance
Water resistant a plus/not necessary

16) Storage conditions
Mostly house

17) Special Needs/extras:
Tailstand is a bonus

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you thought about a Triple?
I was always against them as I viewed them with the same eyes that saw the multi led lights that are sold at gas station checkouts.
However I now have two Oveready Triples and they are fantastic. They are the complete opposite to the Hound Dog, more like a wildcat with les spill and more intensity. If you got hold of an Oveready Triple drop in you could fit it (with a skught mod) into an MD2 like I did, then you still get the Malkoff feel.
You could experiment with a Sportac Triple nichia in a P60 host and see what you think.
I'm just eyeing up one of Tana's TripLed heads.
Having said that, I'd never get rid of my Wildcat - lovely.
P

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you're already fiddling with li-ions, look to the Emisar D4 with quad Nichia 219CTs. You can also get it with the XP-L HI (+$18 in three tints and the XP-G3 I think, for $40 shipped from International-Outdoors (Hank from Noctigon fame).

With quad emitters, it's pretty floody, but has sheer horsepower to reach out about 60-80 yards.

You can buy the pocket clip and a 18350 tube, as well, all for $47 shipped.

I just got his D1S thrower in yesterday, but the head's too big for EDC pocket carry, IMO.

Chris