Recommend me a light for general travel/emergency

ThomGault

Newly Enlightened
I've reviewed the flashlights suggested in this forum for the past few months and didn't see any requests that match mine. Basically, I want an emergency-focused light for travel---particularly while hiking and visiting new cities. I'm a very novice hiker, though, so I basically have no idea what type of flashlight would be best. Possible uses would range from looking for an item dropped in weeds at night, to hiking a trail at night; obviously, those uses are disparate, and I don't plan on ever actually using the flashlight. I also want to be prepared to be in foreign cities with power outages; it should be appropriate for airline carry-on baggage.
My other major preference is for a flashlight made in the Western world. I've been burned by too many Asian products, even from reputable companies. But if Asian quality/value is head-and-shoulders above others, I'd consider it.

Thanks for your help!

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
Online or in-person is fine.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
I'm not really sure yet...$50-$75 sounds reasonable, but I want quality, and I'm aware that quality costs extra.

3) Format:
I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
Probably 4-7 inches. I want to use it in a variety of settings; e.g. as needed while hiking or in urban environments, so nothing awkward or unwieldy. And TSA restrictions limit it to 7" maximum length.

5) Emitter/Light source:
Probably LED

6) Manufacturer:
Most likely a traditional manufacturer. I highly value quality, and greatly prefer a US or european made flashlight, unless it really can't compete with an asian product.

7) What power source do you want to use?
I'll probably use rechargeable cells of usual sizes, but I'm open to other suggestions.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
I don't care how it recharges.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
I don't know---what amount of light is good for hiking basic usage/emergency usage? I don't intend to need it after dark while hiking, but need to be prepared.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
Again, I don't know...what type would be good for hiking basic usage/emergency usage?

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
2-30 yards, I guess?

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
Maybe 60-90 minutes---its impossible to predict situations when I'd use it.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
I don't care. Should it really matter to me for irregular use?

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
I don't know. Maybe 2 levels would be good?

14)Material/Finish/Coating
I don't know---Probably Aluminum for durability and light weight?

15) Water resistance
Probably not needed, but splash resistant wouldn't be bad. (IPX4/IPX7)

16) Storage conditions
Mostly kept in house, but would travel with me on trips and hiking; hopefully I would only use it very very rarely.

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
None

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I think two lights would better meet your needs. A two AAA penlight light the Nitecore MT06MD will be very useful for looking for things while you are in camp or something you may have dropped while walking. My personal preference is using NiMH rechargeables, with lithium primary (non rechargeable) cells if needed. I realize that normal alkaline cells will probably be more easy to come by, but you have the worry about leaks.

As the main light I can recommend the Nitecore EA11 or its cousin the EC11. The EA11 works best with a 14500 lithium-ion cell, but will work at reduced output with a regular AA cell, either rechargeable or primary. The EC11 is identical to the EA11 except that only uses a single CR123/18350 lithium-ion cell, so it doesn't offer the backup of using anything else. Both have a secondary red led for night vision use and/or as a beacon. If you wear cargo style pants either one (they are almost identical in size) will travel easily in any of the pockets. They are a little too large for normal jeans/slacks, etc. I carry mine in its holster on my belt, and it is almost like it isn't there. With a little judicious shopping you should be able to find on for around $50 USD.

I have only used Nitecore lights for the last six or so years, and own around ten regular lights, and several keychain Tubes and Tips. I have never had a problem with any of them, so, for me at least, Nitecore's quality is superb.

matt4350

Enlightened
I carry a Surefire G2X Pro when I travel, for similar uses to what you describe. This might turn out to be a little more expensive than what you'd like by the time you purchase 16650 rechargeable cells and some CR123 cells as a backup, but you get a good runtime on the low setting and the high setting is more than enough for tramping through the bush. They're tough and fulfill your made in America requirement. Downside is, if you're not familiar with these types of rechargeable batteries you'll have to learn up, and the CR123 types aren't inexpensive and will be hard to find in certain countries.

I agree with Timothybil above, too. 2 lights could be very handy, especially if you want to use AA size cells. Have a look at the Thrunite T10, for instance. It's a good general purpose AA light that would likely do what you need, especially if you're carrying spare cells. I reckon if you could be a little more specific about what type of cells you intend to use, and the type of country you'll be outdoors in, you'll get better recommendations for a light. Cheers :)

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff MD2 fits your description well, except that it comes in over budget. It's made in Alabama by a small company with a great reputation and a fantastic warranty. It has two modes and run time in line with your specifications. 300 lumens will be plenty for your application. It can run on 2 x CR123 or one 18650. It's extremely robust and hard to break. You can even choose your beam tint.

Somewhere on this forum, there is a thread covering the topic of flashlights and airline travel. If I remember correctly, the MD2 was on someone's list of a safe choice.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A double A light should be considered due to availability of those. Definitely consider a backup light. One with easy to use on/off. Probably a tailcap clicky on the primary light made by a reputable firm with a proven track record of reliability.

Streamlight, Maglite, SureFire Pelican all come to mind. Consider grip as part of your choice as you may get caught in the rain at sundown. Also look at wrist lanyard options in case you are on unstable footing and need your hands free to balance etc.

I'd reccomend an 8 pack or so of Eneloop rechargeable batteries and supplied charger. They pack a lot of fuel into a small package.

ThomGault

Newly Enlightened
Actually, I think two lights would better meet your needs. A two AAA penlight light the Nitecore MT06MD will be very useful for looking for things while you are in camp or something you may have dropped while walking. My personal preference is using NiMH rechargeables, with lithium primary (non rechargeable) cells if needed. I realize that normal alkaline cells will probably be more easy to come by, but you have the worry about leaks.

As the main light I can recommend the Nitecore EA11 or its cousin the EC11. The EA11 works best with a 14500 lithium-ion cell, but will work at reduced output with a regular AA cell, either rechargeable or primary.With a little judicious shopping you should be able to find on for around $50 USD.

Thanks for the input! I was really hoping to stay with American/European manufacturers if at all possible, and Nightcore looks like its Chinese---are Nightcore products generally far superior to Western countries?

I carry a Surefire G2X Pro when I travel, for similar uses to what you describe. This might turn out to be a little more expensive than what you'd like by the time you purchase 16650 rechargeable cells and some CR123 cells as a backup, but you get a good runtime on the low setting and the high setting is more than enough for tramping through the bush. They're tough and fulfill your made in America requirement. Downside is, if you're not familiar with these types of rechargeable batteries you'll have to learn up, and the CR123 types aren't inexpensive and will be hard to find in certain countries.

I agree with Timothybil above, too. 2 lights could be very handy, especially if you want to use AA size cells. Have a look at the Thrunite T10, for instance. It's a good general purpose AA light that would likely do what you need, especially if you're carrying spare cells. I reckon if you could be a little more specific about what type of cells you intend to use, and the type of country you'll be outdoors in, you'll get better recommendations for a light. Cheers :)

I appreciate your comments :) What makes carrying two lights a better choice? Is it for backup purposes, or that my needs aren't readily met by a single flashlight?

I'll be hiking in the U.S., but also plan to travel overseas (mostly urban environments), to Europe, Asia, and South America.

Currently, I have a large-ish supply of eneloops. I'm open to switching to a different type of battery, preferably rechargeable, which would avoid purchasing them in other countries.

The Malkoff MD2 fits your description well, except that it comes in over budget. It's made in Alabama by a small company with a great reputation and a fantastic warranty. It has two modes and run time in line with your specifications. 300 lumens will be plenty for your application. It can run on 2 x CR123 or one 18650. It's extremely robust and hard to break. You can even choose your beam tint.

That sounds very promising! On the Malkoff website, it looks like its actually sold in pieces; the body/head/tailcap cost $78 and the drop-in is $40---is that all that's required, for a total price of $118?

If I read the drop-in information correctly, there is only one brightness setting?

A double A light should be considered due to availability of those. Definitely consider a backup light. One with easy to use on/off. Probably a tailcap clicky on the primary light made by a reputable firm with a proven track record of reliability.

Streamlight, Maglite, SureFire Pelican all come to mind. Consider grip as part of your choice as you may get caught in the rain at sundown. Also look at wrist lanyard options in case you are on unstable footing and need your hands free to balance etc.

I'd reccomend an 8 pack or so of Eneloop rechargeable batteries and supplied charger. They pack a lot of fuel into a small package.

Yes, I already have a good supply of eneloops and enjoy their qualities. Do you have any specific flashlight model recommendations of the brands that you mentioned? Thanks!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds very promising! On the Malkoff website, it looks like its actually sold in pieces; the body/head/tailcap cost $78 and the drop-in is $40---is that all that's required, for a total price of $118?

If I read the drop-in information correctly, there is only one brightness setting?

You need the high/low retention ring to get two output levels. The cheapest way is to buy the complete flashlight with the high/low ring installed. If you'd like a different beam tint or output, you can just email Gene and Cathy at Malkoff devices and they will install your preferred module. There's a price advantage to buying the complete light. It's pretty easy to get a 15% off coupon as well.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appreciate your comments :) What makes carrying two lights a better choice? Is it for backup purposes, or that my needs aren't readily met by a single flashlight?
Surefire has a saying that most of us here have kind of adopted: Two is One, and One is None! Meaning if you only have one light and something happens to it you are left in the dark. If you have two lights, usually a full function main light and a simpler secondary light, then if something happens to the main light you still have some light to allow you to carry on with, even if it is reduced functionality.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yes, I already have a good supply of eneloops and enjoy their qualities. Do you have any specific flashlight model recommendations of the brands that you mentioned? Thanks!

I like the 2x AA Pelican 2360 for a good all around light. It has ability to have modes of high/low or low/high. 4 quick half presses of the tailcap gives you energy remaining with one flash per 25% left. Pelican begun to use a low that is higher than just a few lumens. Instead low is enough for many purposes for about 25 feet and like a headlight on a car it can be raised to high beam to see a couple hundred feet. Well within your budget at about $40. Something like a Maglite Solitaire will make a good pocket sized backup for less than $20 and it is also bright enough to see 25 feet or so. Backup is incase your primary light quits.
The Maglite is made in USA where Pelican products now come from China.

Last edited:

ThomGault

Newly Enlightened
Everyone's comments have been very helpful! I've been able to focus my requirements. I decided to definitely get a product from a Western country, and from the bit I've read about batteries, I prefer simple options, so AA over 16650/cr123. And I will definitely take everyone's advice of getting a backup flashlight. However, right now my wife is letting me pick a single light for a present, so I want to focus on a light that general purpose for camping. The good news is that I may get some leeway regarding price.

So, whats the preferable eneloop-powered, Western-made, multiple-otf output (~5, ~100, and ~250 lumens), durable, splash-resistant camping/hiking LED light under 7", and under $125?

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at the Zebralight SC53c Neutral AA light that can be run on NiMH, Lithium, Alkaline, Eneloop or Eneloop Pro.

They also produce the same spec light that can double as a headlight, the H53c.

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff MDC 1AA is good as well as Zebralight.

Another option in Zebralight is an AA headlamp.

For power outages or camping, I like a headlamp for hands free usage. If you do look at them- the "f" (for example H53F) denotes a floody type of beam- still has some reach. They have the regular type beam, with hotspot + spill and pure flood beams.

I just noticed the above post by Dave D.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Although the MDC is certainly a viable suggestion, in the case of traversing potentially tricky terrain perhaps the less than grippy surface and lack of lanyard attachment features it would not be one I'd hike with. I own an MDC and hold it in high regard, but it only goes with me when I feel pretty confident my steps will not likely result in falling.

Flat pathways, yeah fine but on a rocky/root prone slope I'd carry one with a lanyard and/or more grippy surface. Especially in colder climates where gloves are used.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Good discussion points above ....

I do prefer single cell setups for situations where there is some reasonably foreseeable possibility of needing to "make do" in some way.

Agree on the relatively smoother surface for the MDC, but there are a fair number of (more or less creative) ways to increase grip, if wanted or needed.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Sure, just off the top of my head ....

• rubberized tubing
• grip tape
• plasti dip
• custom clip
• paracord constrictor lanyard
• o-ring(s)
• machined mods to the tube
• alternative E-series parts (aftermarket tubes, tails, etc)
• other ???

Lots of pros and cons to each of these, and more, but roughening up the grip of a metal tube should not be an insurmountable task for the clever folks around here ;)

archimedes

Flashaholic
For example (although the bezels are not MDCs) this is E-series compatible ...

xWjNqgY.jpg

... as is this ...

oRmiy46.jpg

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before you return it to the mother ship, I'd be interested to learn more about...whatever that second thing is.

E-series compatible 18650 host?