Low powered 1 x CR123a twisty?

I'm looking for something that's not all that common, at least anymore. I'm trying to find a good, solid light for a specific application. Here are the criteria I'm looking at:

• 1 x CR123a battery format- I'm really hoping to find a one-cell for size reasons.
  • Twisty- Reliability is a big concern! Twisty switches have little to fail, and they're not liable to activate in a backpack.
  • Low power/high runtime- A single output would be best, and something in the 50 lumen range, give or take. I'd like a minimum of 5 hours runtime on a fresh battery, and more be better (albeit at lower output).
  • Potted electronics would be a big plus, but not a strict necessity.
  • Reasonable cost- I'd prefer something under $50 since this will be an emergency item, but for the right light I'd spend more.

I'm specifically not interested in a light with multiple modes or complicated electronics. Absolutely nothing programmable.

Does this exist? If not, how about the same qualities but AA? Or a 1 x CR123a that does most of this?

Thanks!

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Peak Logan?
http://peakledsolutions.net/pocket_lights/pocket_lights/logan.html
I think if you ask nicely they'll make you one without the QTC, Arch will tell us if I'm wrong.
The othe one I thought of is a Fousevens Knight, I think Bykfixer had them on his Milepost28 webshop. I know the Knight is a multi mode light, but it has only two regular modes with memory. It's quite difficult to get it into the hidden kodes. When ever I use mine it always comes on in the mode I left it. It's a nice rugged little light, especialy when you remove all the extra harware. This is from someone that despises multi mode blinky lights.
Sorry, both are over 50 bucks, but it's all I could think of before breakfast
P

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Contuing my over budget theme.
OR Acrylic 18350 host with a drop in of your choice, or Malkoff MD! whith a SF Z41 tail and drop in to suit.
I'll sit down now.
At least I given you something to read if nothing else.
P

Thanks! I'm pretty sure you can order it without the QTC which saves a few bucks. I've got an El Capitan, great light! The only issue is that I don't think the runtime of the Logan is all that great although I could be wrong. If there's an especially low powered emitter with good runtime that ticks all the other boxes although it's a smidge over the $50 mark.

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Fenix e15 maybe? 30 bucks but it's a 4 mode though. It does though always start on 8 lumen low so you only have to skip on mode to get to 50 lumen mid

parametrek

Enlightened
I don't know of any single mode lights like that. Besides the Fenix E15 there is also the Jetbeam Jet-II MK and the Foursevens Mini MK II.

Scourie

Enlightened
How about a Tekna Splash-lite? It seems to fit your requirements, and was mentioned on here very recently.

Doh!! I see you've already come across those.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix E15 is a fantastic little light. Unless you're really set on a single-mode light, this would be my recommendation.

--flatline

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meh. This is CPF. Let's break your budget, find the perfect light, buy two, and then develop a creative justification.

Ebay has a Surefire 3P, used, for about a hundred bucks. If you venture over to Illumn dot com, you can, for a limited time, buy a Malkoff M31LL with a nichia 219b. This will provide a rough and tumble host, a reliable twisty switch, potted electronics, and 50 lumens of high CRI light with a good long run time. Oh, and it's single mode.

Plus, chicks dig the cool factor. Okay, maybe not chicks, but nerds. Nerds will dig the cool factor.

archimedes

Flashaholic
How about a Peak Logan? ....
I think if you ask nicely they'll make you one without the QTC, Arch will tell us if I'm wrong....

Yes, absolutely ... Peak Logan, custom level, no QTC

Continuing my over budget theme.
OR Acrylic 18350 host with a drop in of your choice, or Malkoff MD1 with a SF Z41 tail and drop in to suit....

Well, if we're spending all Rob's money here, look for a vintage VME "Little Twisty" and M31LL :devil:

Thanks! I'm pretty sure you can order it without the QTC which saves a few bucks. I've got an El Capitan, great light! The only issue is that I don't think the runtime of the Logan is all that great although I could be wrong....

The runtime of the lower level Peak light engines is excellent, outstanding even, but you would need to deal with the custom ordering challenges.

Where's Archimedes when you need him?
P

:sleepy::poke::huh2: ...

:party:

Meh. This is CPF. Let's break your budget, find the perfect light, buy two, and then develop a creative justification.

Ebay has a Surefire 3P, used, for about a hundred bucks. If you venture over to Illumn dot com, you can, for a limited time, buy a Malkoff M31LL with a nichia 219b. This will provide a rough and tumble host, a reliable twisty switch, potted electronics, and 50 lumens of high CRI light with a good long run time. Oh, and it's single mode....

Buy both ?

.... Does this exist? If not, how about the same qualities but AA? Or a 1 x CR123a that does most of this? ....

Also, just FYI, if you get a Logan ... you can get CR123A-sized tubes, as well as interchangeable 17500-sized tubes.

The 17500 tube easily fits a AA battery (with or without the adapter pack) ... with the adapters, CR123A and AAA ability is added to that tube (although for CR123A, you can simply use the smaller tube instead)

Last edited:

Croquette

Enlightened
Malkoff m31l or m31ll and oveready p20 ?

It will be more expensive but can't think something more reliable...

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Four-sevens Mini MKII, Love mine. nie smooth wide beam. Mult modes, BUT, it can be programmed very easily to any number of settings. Pretty basic, cheap, light wt and overall a great light.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Under $50 I think you might be stuck with the Splash-lights for now. A custom Peak would fit the bill nicely and seems like exactly what you are looking for but they start at $69.95. Going the Malkoff route with the M31 is probably going to be even more expensive so the PEAK may be the better bet if you decide to spend the money.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I never, I thought it was the tail and body that were fused. It's the head and body and you can put whatever tail you want on it,
Fantastic!.
P

Thanks, all! I already have four of the TEKNA lights and really like them! But after tearing one apart I can see that they probably wouldn't survive the kind of epic abuse that Malkoff and Elzetta lights will shrug off. Great light though! The application I'm working on is a light that will be for a camping/survival kit, which kind of explains some of the specs. While it's a bit over my stated budget an MDC would be a good light but I'm a bit concerned that the lack of reverse polarity protection could be an issue. I've never wrecked an MDC and I have five of them IIRC but a non-flashlight-person might install the spare backwards, especially under stress, and have no light! Although it's also a bit over my desired budget an Elzetta Alpha would great for this.

Peak lights are very nice but also a bit more than I wanted to spend, and I'm not sure how much of an issue getting something semi-custom is from them. I've heard they can be "challenging" to deal with but their stuff is very nice.

The Fenix E15 is kind of the front runner right now. A single AA is my close second choice and it does everything else I'm looking for at a pretty good price. I only have one Fenix, and E01, so I don't know how rugged their stuff is overall due to lack of experience with the brand. Something like the old E01 but AA instead of AAA would be about what I want!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
While it's a bit over my stated budget an MDC would be a good light but I'm a bit concerned that the lack of reverse polarity protection could be an issue. I've never wrecked an MDC and I have five of them IIRC but a non-flashlight-person might install the spare backwards, especially under stress, and have no light!

You may already know this, but the 1xAA MDC is the only Malkoff product that is not protected against reverse polarity. The other MDC's and the M31's suggested above are protected.

Cheers

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would second the Alpha. I get a budget, but if the Alpha is really what you want I'd wait and pick one up when you can. I know if I grab something that isn't what I really want I end up buying twice costing meneven more....... By the way, the Alpha is my edc and I love it.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have an old Logan. It is level two cool white. Besides the tint I like the light. It's bomb proof. Unfortunately, my recent attempts to acquire non qtc lower level Peaks we're frustrating and unsuccessful. What I did end up getting I returned. The quality wasn't what I expected.