When you've found The One

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
What to do once you've found "THE ONE"??!! I've been through a bunch of different lights, different brands, different battery configs etc, and I have finally found a light that has for all intents and purposes made me stop looking at flashlights. Zebralight SC53W is doing everything I could want a flashlight to do for me in a compact size and a sturdy build. From super low sub lumen output to plenty bright enough for me, this light has become a do all. Had an HDS in hand for a few days and still was just fine to send it along to the next person knowing the little Zebra is here. So what to do when you've found what you are looking for?? Well I think I'm going to say goodbye to the forum for a bit and just enjoy using and stop shopping\buying\selling\obsessing. This is a great forum with great people. Over and out!

P.S.
Someone keep the E01 challenge thread going would ya please??!!

Gurdygurds

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Congrats.....

But you'll be back.
Maybe not looking to buy a new light, but just to scratch that flashaholic itch.

I found "the one" for me quite a while ago. Bought more later. Then I put the Kie-bosch on that but still enjoy hanging around the site and sharing a laugh or two.

We'll see ya when you get back.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what to do when you've found what you are looking for??
Buy two of them. And show the world. And post about it in applicable topic threads. For me, that is two Acebeam X65vn. One in each hand. The biggest thrill for me. There is nothing like it. Traffic stops to ask what was that I had last night. Maybe single CFT-90 in very large reflector, or multiple CFT-90 in very large light will be the next big thing for me.

-------
Normal people walk around with big dogs. They look normal. I walk around with big flashlights. My flashlights have bitten less people then Teds' dog.

Taz80

Enlightened
There is no such thing as "THE ONE" :poke: You just need to find more, different, uses for your lights.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly I'd recommend cutting down CPF time. When I've been off the forum I've never once felt like I need anything besides my HDS rotary, but every time I look around here I catch myself thinking I need something that I totally don't need. CPF is a great resource, but sometimes it's nice to take a step or two back from the flashaholic groupthink bubble.

I used to be pretty into pocket knives, but since I stopped visiting forums and reading reviews I've never felt that my Victorinox Pioneer is inadequate. It's a good way to save money.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you find the one, you stop looking at other lights for a while. But it doesn't last forever. Eventually your needs change. Or your preferences. Or you just get curious about what's out there.

In my case, I bought my hi-cri HDS clicky in 2010 and didn't start looking at new lights again until last year. I started looking again when my wife's sister asked me for a recommendation and I realized I had no idea what the go-to light recommendations were for 2017. I started researching the market and a year later I've got a handful of new lights and some new batteries in the mail...

But even though I don't carry the HDS as much as I used to, it's still my favorite light. My new lights aren't better, just different. I've purposefully resisted the siren call of a new HDS rotary because I'm not ready to replace my old HDS yet.

But one thing is for certain, finding "the one" can sure save you money. Before I bought the HDS, I was buying a new light every month or two. Once I bought the HDS, that mostly stopped for a good 7 years.

--flatline

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, knowing a little of what you have been doing lately, I am happy that you have found yourself a good light to take care of your needs. You definitely need a break.
Hope you will keep in touch and come visit every now and then, but i feel for you. All of my hobbies have gotten me into trouble by hanging out on the forums. I will eventually disappear for yrs until i am ready for something new.

Take care for now, but hope to see/hear from you soon;)

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
This hobby was never about finding the perfect flashlight. I'm just having fun. I enjoy reading all of the threads, even though I'll never buy most of the lights under discussion. There is always more to learn. Truthfully, my flashlight wish list is relatively short, at least by CPF standards, and I've purchased most of them. It's a pleasure watching others have fun as well.

Sometimes CPF'ers can be inconsiderate of each other. That certainly detracts from the experience, but I plan to haunt this forum for a long time.

ven

Flashaholic
I dont think i could ever find the one, as i have many potential "the one's" . I also have the sc53w and it is actually my least favourite ZL. Not over struck on the xp-l2 4500k or the AA fuel along with the actual size(too small). I prefer the 18650 fed ZL's as i find them still super compact, but benefit from a larger fuel tank and preferable LED's(xhp35/xhp50 etc etc) to me. So of course all of our own wants and needs vary quite a lot. I will admit i could live with just one light(as long as i never lost or forgot it, brought it home from work every day................yeh like that would work lol).

I have a mind set of having several for different types of uses, so size, brightness, UI etc etc all come into why i use a light in certain applications over others. Or simply the fact i dont want to damage/loose a hard to replace(or impossible to) over a cheaper one. Tools i rely on or use regular( socket sets,ratchet spanners, hex keys, drills, flashlights..............could go on, but i have multiples of each) simply as back ups.

Back to lights, i honestly thought the haiku would have slowed me down, can be used as EDC or now with the tana triple, maybe 800 or so hi cri lumens, enough and some for most uses. Its hard to fault, other than ti not being the best with heat dissipation..............but we know that before buying it! The size,feel, weight, clip..............everything is spot on . Nope, the hunger stayed, as with many other lights. Guess part of being a flashaholic shines through in always wanting more! be it brighter, smaller, bigger, higher CRI or different colour temps and tints. I have many perfect for me lights, in fact probably most are pretty much close /near perfect these days or certainly more than adequate , other wise i wont have it. I wont have a light that i cant or wont use because of X Y or Z. There is just no point IMHO as there are others to use, why have something your not going to enjoy. I just have too many good lights to use all of them regular! But it try and thats what having rotations is for:)

I am enjoying the older classics more than ever recently, as being honest the latest Fenix or Nitecore(just 2 examples) just dont interest me at all. I like them or some of them, but in no way enough or more than ones i have. Much prefer the older classic's , be them surefire or hds/novatacs. Only recently zebralights have been of interest and must admit they are great little lights.
I also enjoy here, reading, looking at pics of lights. So my interest is has never dwindled or faded, its as strong as ever.

Gurdy, you need to try a rotary , one of the best UI's ever!!!!:) (yeh i know subjective) but the rotary is amazing. Coupled with your choice in flavour LED for perfection!

So i have found the one, many many times, nope not stopped me and cant see it ever doing so. :whistle:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
For some one of those universal screwdrivers with swappable bits is fine. For others an entire drawer of various tips and handles does trick.

It seems mr gurds is in camp a, and I congratulate him that he has found that particular style of universal tool.

Bravo my good man. It's not many here who can say they have found 'the one' for them. And it is my priveledge to have some of his previous trys in my collection.

My only advice would be to purchase a twin if practical in case something goes wrong, play with both for a bit and put away the favorite of the two to ensure in the event mishap occurs there's an even better waiting for the call of duty.

Last edited:

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
The HDS Rotary in Nichia has pushed a lot of my lights to the sideline. I sold most of the lights that I wasn't using, but I still could let some more go.

I don't want to only have one light, but I could live with three. My choices would be the HDS Rotary, the Adventure Sport mule, and the OLight S-Mini.

I have some lights that I consider luxury items like my BOSS and Muyshondt that are really nice, but are not have to have things...

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the recommendation, to buy a back up! Other then that, may be take a break. Then, when it's time, come back and visit. You may have info that may help someone.

Pops

PS It's a good feeling to find the light that works for you. I'm glad you found that light! ... :thumbsup:

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
That's great to find "the one," but impossible for me. I have a cheap light with decent throw I leave at my job, but bring a more quality light that I use. The one I use most at home is Malkoff MD2 with the M361, with an 18650. I keep an incandescent Maglite running so I don't hurt my dog's eyes at night in the yard. It also has the ESD bezel and tailcap which I like in case something unexpected arises.

ven

Flashaholic
IMHO you should stick around gurdy, just because you dont want or need another light right now, does not mean you cant enjoy reading about others. I enjoy flashlights, nothing will stop that ever, but i also enjoy reading up, checking out info/pics in lots of areas on here. V54,HDS, surefire, zebralight etc etc, so my interest in lights is with many different manufacturers(be that good or bad). I think hanging out with like minded folk is cool.

If you get bored, just take a few pics with different back grounds for your sc53w
Be it flying a jet fighter
bRd7zUul.jpg

Shovelled up by an excavator
p1Rh4sYl.jpg

Cuddling up with a pet!
fsuJjq8l.jpg

MJUruabl.jpg

Ok ok i had a few mins spare and was bored myself :nana:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
IMHO the fun is really in the doing. Kinda like a collection of hammers without wood and nails. Sure hammers are nice but they're much nicer hitting nails.

row111

Newly Enlightened
Let the number of flashlights you have = N

The number of flashlights you should have is N + 1