Could Original Olight SR-90 be modded with CFT-90?

easilyled

Flashaholic
I still have an original Olight SR-90 which was a ground-breaker in its day. Its a leviathan of a light and that huge size was to help dissipate all the heat of the Luminus SST-90 driven to its maximum spec. of 9A.

Today, the SST-90 has been displaced in power and efficiency by many leds and the one that stands out is another Luminus emitter, the CFT-90.

I'm wondering whether upgrading the Olight SR-90 with the CFT-90 would be relatively straight-forward. I'm sure it would breathe new life into this historic flashlight.

What are your thoughts on this Vinhnguyen54?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I still have an original Olight SR-90 which was a ground-breaker in its day. Its a leviathan of a light and that huge size was to help dissipate all the heat of the Luminus SST-90 driven to its maximum spec. of 9A.

Today, the SST-90 has been displaced in power and efficiency by many leds and the one that stands out is another Luminus emitter, the CFT-90.

I'm wondering whether upgrading the Olight SR-90 with the CFT-90 would be relatively straight-forward. I'm sure it would breathe new life into this historic flashlight.

What are your thoughts on this Vinhnguyen54?

I am not sure...The reflector in this light didnt focus some of the modern LED...Either that or I am doing soemthing wrong. CFT might work but the circuit in this light really under driven the LED. We would need new driver also. Then we would also need new cells to handle the new power...Sounds expensive.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, but you need a new driver as Vin already said. The CFT-90 is only worth the high price if you really give it a lot of current.

easilyled

Flashaholic
OK, thanks for the answers guys.

So it sounds like you don't think it lends itself towards being a good host for this emitter. I had thought that with that very wide, smooth reflector, it might have produced a great beam. :(

I understand that it would need a new driver and fuel (batteries/battery pack) to drive it. Being such a large light, though, I wouldn't have thought that space would be an issue to accommodate these changes. It boils down to whether the end product is worth the effort and expense.

Last edited:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam will be good if you put in the work (people have successfully used this reflector with XP-G2 dedomed, XP-L HI and SST-90 dedomed). You will probably need to modify the reflector (remove the rim on the bottom and maybe sand it down a little bit). The CFT-90 will give you the same beam as the dedomed SST-90 (but brighter). You can test that beforehand.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
The beam will be good if you put in the work (people have successfully used this reflector with XP-G2 dedomed, XP-L HI and SST-90 dedomed). You will probably need to modify the reflector (remove the rim on the bottom and maybe sand it down a little bit). The CFT-90 will give you the same beam as the dedomed SST-90 (but brighter). You can rest that beforehand.

Thanks. I don't have the skills to do that myself which is why I posed the question in Vin's forum. ;) I'm sure you could do it too, judging by some of your other projects you'd find it very simple. :)