Good long throw flashlight that can handle recoil from .308 rifle

TK1619

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I am new to the forum, this is my first post. I am looking for a long throw flashlight to mount on both my AK 47 and PTR 91, for hunting. My experience with quality lights is pretty much nil, and I am concerned with the ability of the light to hold up to recoil. The AK doesn't concern me as much, since the recoil is not much more than an AR 15's, however I feel the .308 PTR could potentially cause problems. I have read some discussions about the Fenix TK32 and some of the ArmyTek models and like what these lights seem to offer, but am wondering if the step up in caliber from 5.56 to .308 would make a difference in the light's ability to function. Any info/experiences would be appreciated!

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, I am new to the forum, this is my first post. I am looking for a long throw flashlight to mount on both my AK 47 and PTR 91, for hunting. My experience with quality lights is pretty much nil, and I am concerned with the ability of the light to hold up to recoil. The AK doesn't concern me as much, since the recoil is not much more than an AR 15's, however I feel the .308 PTR could potentially cause problems. I have read some discussions about the Fenix TK32 and some of the ArmyTek models and like what these lights seem to offer, but am wondering if the step up in caliber from 5.56 to .308 would make a difference in the light's ability to function. Any info/experiences would be appreciated!

You've got a few manufacturer options to look at:
-Malkoff
-Oveready
-Surefire
-Elzetta

How are you planning to mount it?

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what you have going on with your rifle now, but maybe you could try a muzzle brake? I put a Precision Armament M11 on my 308 and it easily cut recoil in half and reduced muzzle rise. My buddy next to me isn't as much of a fan though.

Area 419 makes a really nice brake too, along with plenty of other choices.

That might help with longevity, and keeping the target lit up.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The brands in mckeand's list should definitely be on your short list.

At what range would you like to positively ID your game?

TK1619

Newly Enlightened
I'll be mounting it with a picatinny rail mount, so it will have to have a 1 inch body diameter. Muzzle brake is a future upgrade as well. As far as what distance I would want to identify game, realistically 200 yards for a positive ID, 275 tops. Anything further at night and I would worry about a clean, ethical shot. Coyotes are the main thing I would be after at night

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your answer of 200 yards severely limits your options in a small-ish form factor. I expect you to need to put at least 1.5 to 2 lux on a low contrast animal for positive ID. My Elzetta Charlie with spot optic delivers 1.7 lux.....at 100 yards.

If your stated number is a true requirement, you'll want to check out Vinh's modded lights, and request that he pots the electronics for recoil tolerance. An S200C2vn or G25C2vn is where my search would begin for this performance. I plan to order an S200C2vn for a 308 AR soon.

GeerGuy

Newly Enlightened
I have used an Elzetta Alpha and Bravo, both with the standard lens, with a generic 1" rail mount on a 308 with no issues. I did run them with the extra O-rings in the body grooves for extra grip in the mount.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in the market for a light for my carbine on a budget last year. Selected the streamlight polytac. It doesn't see hard use but I need it to be 100% if it's ever called upon.

Based on the first 1000 rounds down range I would make the same choice again. This is nicely balanced beam for a weapons light IMO but if you wanted more throw you could get the HP version.

colight

Enlightened
I don't have a rifle myself, but being familiar with hunting and flashlights in general, I'll recommend the TK25 Red from Fenix. It was designed specifically for hunting, and has a throw of almost 250 yards on white, and almost 220 on red. I once saw a picture on another platform which a person posted of his TK25 Red, and believe me - it throws! That was not a false claim from Fenix.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore P30 is a nice single 18650 cell light that more than meets your distance requirements. It can be purchased with a gun mount with remote switch, or as just the light itself. Nitecore also sells a separate barrel mount accessory if you don't want the remote switch.