Which light is best in the Thrunite TC20 & Olight R50 Seeker category?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to own a Thrunite TN30. It required 3 XM-L U2 LED's to reach 2700L output in turbo. Although it was advertised as "the king of flood" at the time, it was actually quite impressive in the throw department, all things considered. It held 3x 18650's and was far too bulky and heavy to consider carrying, even in a holster IMO. It was 7" long x 2-2/3" wide.

Now, about 5-6 years later, you can buy a light that's 4.5" long x 1.5" wide, at about half the weight, and less than half the price, with just 1 LED and 1(larger) battery, that's 1,100L brighter on turbo(3800L).

I discovered the Olight R50 and R50 Pro Seeker lights before the Thrunite TC20, but the Thrunite has a few things going for it. Its cheaper, smaller, has a higher capacity battery, and maybe a more efficient LED(?)

Maybe there are other lights in this side and power range, but I haven't stumbled on them yet. So, I'm sure that, by now, there are members who've used these 2 lights, and hopefully can tell me(us) which is the better pick? Thanks.

CM2010

Enlightened
Take a look at the Rofis MR70 which is cheaper than both of the lights you listed as is the Lumintop ODF30 but that doesn't come with a battery.

I've owned the R50 Pro and prefer the Rofis, the side light is a really neat feature. As for the ODF30 that is on it's way to me in the mail.

davemp

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking forward to any relevant replies regarding these two flashlights. I'm very interested in the Olight R50...davemp

fmc1

Enlightened
I choose the Thrunite TC20 over the Olight R50. To me the TC20 has a lot of advantages over the R50. It's cheaper, it's brighter, it can run in turbo before step down longer and run in high a lot longer before step down. The TC20 comes with a higher capacity battery that's true to its rating, I tested it on a MC3000. The TC20 can charge any 26650 battery in the light. The R50 can only charge the Olight branded battery because of the dual terminals on the bottom. The TC20 has a fire fly mode. The TC20 is available in both CW or NW.

Frank

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I choose the Thrunite TC20 over the Olight R50. To me the TC20 has a lot of advantages over the R50. It's cheaper, it's brighter, it can run in turbo before step down longer and run in high a lot longer before step down. The TC20 comes with a higher capacity battery that's true to its rating, I tested it on a MC3000. The TC20 can charge any 26650 battery in the light. The R50 can only charge the Olight branded battery because of the dual terminals on the bottom. The TC20 has a fire fly mode. The TC20 is available in both CW or NW.

Frank
I was already preferring the TC20 over either the R50 or R50 Pro. I noticed the R50 over a year ago in many videos and articles, and I like the way all of these newer generation Olights look. But I didn't like the omission of a moonlight mode, and I was a little concerned about the Olight 26650 battery's design, where you have both negative and positive on one end of the battery. That seems like a potential shorting issue, but I could be wrong. The Thrunite TC20 must be much newer, because I didn't stumble upon articles and videos about it til just a few weeks ago.

I'll also have to look into the lights mentioned by another poster above^^.

davemp

Newly Enlightened
fmc1, Where did you find the TC 20 cheaper than the Olight R50 Seeker? The RC50 sells for $100. When I looked for the TC 20 they sold for $108 to $120 and up....davemp

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own the 2500 lumen r50 in coolwhite, and the thrunite tc20 in nuetral white. Even though the R50 is older it puts out a nice beam and doesn't come on in the pocket. The TC20 I carry more often but I'm locking it out by loosening the head.

Overall i I like that it's more compact, and I prefer the ui

fmc1

Enlightened
fmc1, Where did you find the TC 20 cheaper than the Olight R50 Seeker? The RC50 sells for $100. When I looked for the TC 20 they sold for $108 to $120 and up....davemp

Both the Thrunite web site and Amazon are selling it for 89.95 now. Thrunite had a 20% off sale but it expired on April 15th for the TC20. It's only the new catapult V6 that's on sale now but it's a thrower which really does not compare to the TC20 and R50.

Frank

Last edited:

jmsodpc

Newly Enlightened
i like my thrunite tc20. small size and powerful output. the natural white color is pleasant too, its more of an old school yellowish tint. i havent had any issues with it yet and i've been reading there are better batteries available vs the battery it comes with.