What flashlight do you grab when you hear a bump in the night?

caled

Newly Enlightened
I'm new here, and I hope this is an appropriate topic for this forum.

A couple nights ago, I heard a noise and went downstairs to investigate.

I grabbed my old 4 C cell MagLite.

My light uses 4 C cells. I wish I could find a 5 or 6 C cell MagLite, but I don't think they are made anymore.

I have fairly small hands, and short stubby fingers, and a D Cell MagLite feels like I'm grabbing the big end of a baseball bat.

Last edited:

Eastwoodfan101

Newly Enlightened
I grab whatever happens to be closest attached to a pistol. Usually a Glock 17 with an surefire X300U

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welcome to the site caled. Your choice and reasons for the light is spot on. A half press for a silent "SURPRISE!!!" to the perp is possible with classic Mags.

For the good news... you can now obtain 6D Maglites in LED platform. If I recall correct it's the ML300 model. It's about $90 though. Or you can still get 5 and 6D incans at eBay. A company called Malkoff sells LED replacement modules that are solid as a tank for about $50.

To the question, I grab the closest light, but if it's awake from snoozing I use one called SureFire EB1c because the beam is very narrow and will blind a perp, but being a narrow beam means bounce back light won't blind me.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
No further references to clubbing or shooting intruders will be permitted in this thread. Any such posts will be deleted. Thank you.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
Elzetta Bravo with AVS flood. That attached or along with whatever weapon you choose.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo Haiku Hi-CRI because it is on the nightstand. As long as it's not my wife or daughter they're after, they can take what they like. I'm no good to either of them two dead, and everything else is what house insurance is for.

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
This one.

41211480572_7a820804f5_c.jpg

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, the perfect thread to spotlight the difference between the British and the Americans.

Me? I just grab whichever light I left on the night stand. I normally just leave one flashlight, set to low mode, to avoid late night confusion or crispy fried retinas.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grab any light that works.

I grab a HDS Flashlight set to momentary Burst at 250 lumens to demonstrate authority to an intruder.

Forget the physically big light notion. Will work against you in court if you use it for anything else but illumination. Better to have a brighter and physically smaller light that demonstrates with light that you have control of the situation.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Ah, the perfect thread to spotlight the difference between the British and the Americans [...]
Speaking as /both/, I'm not certain what is being communicated here. Edit: we're all here sharing this forum for a reason.
On the other hand I see no issue with the general topic within the rules & practices of this forum. :)

Like post #13 directly above, for example. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking as /both/, I'm not certain what is being communicated here...

Certainly nothing untoward. I also find nothing wrong with this thread or with the others that are like it. If my playful cultural reference is unclear, there's no need to clarify. We're all friends in here.

Cheers

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo Haiku Hi-CRI because it is on the nightstand. As long as it's not my wife or daughter they're after, they can take what they like. I'm no good to either of them two dead, and everything else is what house insurance is for.

If someone breaks into your house, when you are home, you have problem and have to assume that they want you to point out your valuables and they may be after more than your belongings. Have a plan, even if it is for everyone to quietly sneak out of their bedroom windows.

Sneaking out is an excellent plan. It avoids having to injure anyone that may lead to $$$ in legal fees and time in Court - even if you are 100% in the right. A weapons instructor taught me that, no joke. If I have an option to retreat, that IS my plan.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: Modernflame;
After adding text to my paragraph via 'Edit', I had a smile seeing your post almost exactly mirroring my additional thoughts as well. Cheers +1. :)

ven

Flashaholic
Oddly and ironically enough, the usual bump in the night is caused by one of many lights placed precariously on the night stand:ohgeez:

:welcome: Caled

wPqAQpul.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
And curiously, the most dangerous thing I'm likely to encounter is my wife, having been woken by the falling flashlight.

:laughing: thats never a good thing!!!! an angry wife being woke by falling flashlights, could end up with a:whoopin: