Limited Info: Samsung INR18650-15B 1500mAh/25A

Hello,

My friend pulled some batteries from a 20V battery pack.They are 5 X SAMSUNG INR18650-15B 1500mAh/25A. Pulled from a DeWalt power tool that was 1 year old.He gave me Two of them to test their capacity.I am guessing that the 25A may be a pulse reading?

First I look on HKJ Comparator and he did not test it. Then I googled it and the Only thing that came up was a link from a sale on Ebay from March 10, 2016. The specs from above are what Ebay listed. I was wondering if anyone has heard of these batteries and may know how to find Samsung data sheets to verify or denounce the Info. I got from Ebay?

Out of Curiosity I did a max output run time test using my M2X.The results are below along with my capacity test from my Opus.

NOTE: The 30Q is 13 months old and the 15B is approximately the same age according to my buddy who gave them to me for testing.Both batteries started @ 4.19V for the test.

30Q....................................15B

10 min=3.96V...................10 min=3.77V
15 min=3.87V...................15 min=3.63V

Samsung_15_B_4.18.2018.jpg

Thanks

,,,,Ed

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would expect the 25A rating is actually for continuous drain. Power tools need to be able to sustain their output pretty well, and the higher end brands like Dewalt in particular would be judged harshly by users if they failed to live up to expectations.

That would also be why power tools have generally had low capacity cells - the tweaks made to boost current output reduce capacity.

As a point of comparison, one of the newer high discharge cells, the Sony VTC5A is rated for 35A continuous. It looks like HKJ didn't test it beyond 30A, but it seems to have performed properly - taking only about 4-1/2 minutes to drain the cell:
https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Sony US18650VTC5A 2600mAh (Green) UK.html

Ok.Thanks, I guess that makes sense that it would be 25A continuous.

No disrespect here. My Primary purpose for this thread is to find more INFO. on this particular the cell. I am familiar w/ the VTC5A and most cells on HKJ comparator.

I am going to PM HKJ and see if he can shed any light on it.

HKJ answered my PM and said that he had no knowledge of the 15B and said the closest cell to that is the 15M which is in his queue for testing!:D

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
HKJ answered my PM and said that he had no knowledge of the 15B and said the closest cell to that is the 15M which is in his queue for testing!:D

Hi,

25A sounds kind of high. I found 15L and 15Q and they are at 18A, and 15M at 23A.
Maybe they were made just for battery packs for portable power tools so they were made to allow a little higher drain.

^^^

Maybe? One never knows until they are tested. I can not do that and this seems to be a very uncommon battery with limited info. so it is likely that we will never know how many continuous amps it can sustain.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
No disrespect here. My Primary purpose for this thread is to find more INFO. on this particular the cell. I am familiar w/ the VTC5A and most cells on HKJ comparator.

Sorry. I wasn't sure your background, so figured I'd go ahead and put the known point of comparison out there in case you weren't sure the specs were credible.

Sorry. I wasn't sure your background, so figured I'd go ahead and put the known point of comparison out there in case you weren't sure the specs were credible.

No worries. Thanks for being polite.

I am by no means an expert on this stuff. I am your average Joe where most of my knowledge came surfing on here for 5 years b/4 I joined.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^

Maybe? One never knows until they are tested. I can not do that and this seems to be a very uncommon battery with limited info. so it is likely that we will never know how many continuous amps it can sustain.

Hello,

I was trying to help, and i looked around too and only found a few that were close but not exact.

Well if you have one you can test it. Start at some reasonable current like 15 amps. Maybe with an IR gun measure the temperature. If it reaches 80 degrees C, stop the test and lower the current and recharge if needed, then test again. If it doesnt get near that before it discharges, recharge and increase the discharge current and test again. Once it reaches 80C if it gets any hotter, the current is too high. That's at 25 degree C ambient of course. You can go to 100C if you wish but i would not do that, i would stick with 80C as a max. That means really a 55 deg C temperature rise.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^^

Thanks. I already mentioned in post #8 that I do not have the equipment to perform such tests.

Hi,

Oh sorry i must have missed that. But gee you dont have some load resistors and a temperature meter of some kind? I thought everyone had some of each these days :)
Not that easy of a test anyway i guess.

Last edited: