List the bands or music that you may be ashamed to admit to liking....

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not every group can be so cool that everyone on the planet loves and respects them, so not every group can be like KISS.... Lol. There are some types of music that we like, but wouldn't necessarily admit to liking.

I grew up primarily listening to heavy metal and hard rock. I didn't like top 40 and pop music in the 80s and most of the 90s. I hated country music and soft rock as well. Being a heavy metal fan, it would seem silly to like music from bands like 'Bread' or 'The Carpenters'. But those groups were represented in my parents collection, from before I had really developed my own tastes and opinions on music. I used to listen to those albums, and I recently listened to them again, and I still liked it.

I've broadened my musical horizons to include smooth jazz, 80s rock, electronica etc. But we never want to grow up and 'be like our parents' when it comes to certain styles and tastes. Are there any groups or musical genres that you may have been embarrassed to admit to liking at some point?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I hate it when a Madonna song gets stuck in my head. It makes me think that secretly I like her music.

A few years ago a friend and I were having this conversation and we both were like
"did you like Duran Duran in high school"?
"Yeah"
"Did you admit it?"
"Hellno!"
"Would you admit it now?"
"Yup"

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
[/B]
Uh, yeah..... no you don't. :laughing:

I really enjoy Sting's music. But I've never been ashamed to admit it. Should I be?

~ Chance

Sting's music wouldn't fall under the category of music that people would necessarily feel ashamed to admit an affinity for. If you said 'Captain and Tennille' on the other hand...... These days music seems so ridiculously commercial, pasteurized and processed, that I am PROUD to not be able to identify the "artists" who burden us with it! Lol

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate it when a Madonna song gets stuck in my head. It makes me think that secretly I like her music.

A few years ago a friend and I were having this conversation and we both were like
"did you like Duran Duran in high school"?
"Yeah"
"Did you admit it?"
"Hellno!"
"Would you admit it now?"
"Yup"

In middle and high school, I viewed Duran Duran as preppie jock rock. It was played in a loop on every top 40 station, so I didn't give it a second look back then. But just 5-7 years into the 90s, after I'd cut my hair, I started liking it. Now I appreciate them for their musical talent, as well as their songwriting ability. The bass work on Rio is great.

LGT

Enlightened
I was always into The Doors, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, CCR, Hendrix, still to this day. But have always had a niche for ABBA and Michael Jackson songs.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In middle and high school, I viewed Duran Duran as preppie jock rock. It was played in a loop on every top 40 station, so I didn't give it a second look back then. But just 5-7 years into the 90s, after I'd cut my hair, I started liking it. Now I appreciate them for their musical talent, as well as their songwriting ability. The bass work on Rio is great.

Duran Duran did an album later that killed it. I think it was their first 'self titled' one in about '93. Tunes like Ordinary World and Come Undone were great. By then I was all grown up and didn't care what other folks thought.

Another band I really dug that folks asked "what is that crap" was the Talking Heads.

I took a lot of flack for it but I used to dig disco music. Not the BeeGees, although many of their tunes are catchy no doubt... no I dug it when the Stones (emotional rescue), Grateful Dead (shakedown street) or even KISS (I was made for Lovin' You) and bands like that did a disco tune. But I'd never let my friends know it back then.
Later my friends scoffed at INXS calling their early stuff disco.

These days if it's musical, I dig it.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Duran Duran did an album later that killed it. I think it was their first 'self titled' one in about '93. Tunes like Ordinary World and Come Undone were great. By then I was all grown up and didn't care what other folks thought.

Another band I really dug that folks asked "what is that crap" was the Talking Heads.

I took a lot of flack for it but I used to dig disco music. Not the BeeGees, although many of their tunes are catchy no doubt... no I dug it when the Stones (emotional rescue), Grateful Dead (shakedown street) or even KISS (I was made for Lovin' You) and bands like that did a disco tune. But I'd never let my friends know it back then.
Later my friends scoffed at INXS calling their early stuff disco.

These days if it's musical, I dig it.

I didn't like INXS until about 1988, then I started sorta liking them. I actually saw them in an outdoor arena concert at the old Veteran's stadium in Philly, between 1988-1990, I don't remember. Ziggy Marley was the opener. I was given free tickets, so I went. But to make up for that, I saw Pink Floyd in the VERY old J.F.K. stadium(originally named Connie Mack stadium). That show was #80 on the all time largest attendance in the world list, at 80,754 people).

I also kinda like Barry Manilow.