Can you recommend a modern budget 1000 lumen EDC with NO SIDE SWITCH?

ccjcc81

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a 1000 lumen EDC light that takes 18650 that has a tailcap switch but no side switch. I tried the thrunite TC12 V2, and I thought it was a fantastic little flashlight, but it kept coming on in my pocket no matter how I oriented it. I'd like a recharge port built in to the housing, but that's not a must. It must take 18650 rechargeable batteries at least. It also must have a pocket clip. I'm willing to spend $60 to $100, the closer to $60 the better. I want something tough and durable.

Do you know of such a light? I can't find anything modern with 1000 lumens that doesn't have a side switch.

Thanks.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff Hound Dog but it isn't budget. Damn good reflector and build quality though, and can stick a OR clip on it.

Eagletac has some stuff that might fit for you.

Last edited:

cp2315

Enlightened
Actually you do not need to abandon side switch. There are plenty lights with a tail switch to turn on and off, and a side switch to change mode. These lights will not turn on in your pocket. The light that turned on in your pocket, I guess it is a side switch only?

You can look at nitecore MH12Gt and see if you like it.

pc_light

Enlightened
I'm looking for a 1000 lumen EDC light that takes 18650 that has a tailcap switch but no side switch. I tried the thrunite TC12 V2, and I thought it was a fantastic little flashlight, but it kept coming on in my pocket no matter how I oriented it. I'd like a recharge port built in to the housing, but that's not a must. It must take 18650 rechargeable batteries at least. It also must have a pocket clip. I'm willing to spend $60 to $100, the closer to $60 the better. I want something tough and durable.

Do you know of such a light? I can't find anything modern with 1000 lumens that doesn't have a side switch.

Thanks.
The Lumintop EDC25 has a side switch for mode changes but the main On/Off is on the tailcap, which should address the pocket pressing issue. Accidental mode changes aren't an issue if the light isn't already turned on. It's has a USB built in recharging port and takes rechargeable 18650, which just about meets all your needs. Physically the form factor is similar to the TC12 you already have.

I don't own this light so all I know is what I read about it.

It's an additional step but many users perform what is know as a physical lock-out, by partially un-twisting the tail-cap to prevent accidental turn on's during carry. Frankly it's a good practice for side-switch lights anyway to reduce/eliminate parasitic battery drain.

-------------
edit - I just looked up the Thrunite TC12 which you already tried and it is supposedly a similar configuration as the Lumintop and like side-mode-change lights as cp2215 mentioned. Can you provide any additional details as to how you're actually carrying this light such that the tail switch engages?

My previous suggestion about the Lumintop EDC25 will be no better but my suggestion about "locking out" the tail cap should still apply.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks.

Convoy M2, M1 and perhaps an S2+ with 2.8A driver board and a cool white XM-L2 LED?

You can find them modified for a bit more lumens.

Chris

ccjcc81

Newly Enlightened
The Lumintop EDC25 has a side switch for mode changes but the main On/Off is on the tailcap, which should address the pocket pressing issue. Accidental mode changes aren't an issue if the light isn't already turned on. It's has a USB built in recharging port and takes rechargeable 18650, which just about meets all your needs. Physically the form factor is similar to the TC12 you already have.

I don't own this light so all I know is what I read about it.

It's an additional step but many users perform what is know as a physical lock-out, by partially un-twisting the tail-cap to prevent accidental turn on's during carry. Frankly it's a good practice for side-switch lights anyway to reduce/eliminate parasitic battery drain.

-------------
edit - I just looked up the Thrunite TC12 which you already tried and it is supposedly a similar configuration as the Lumintop and like side-mode-change lights as cp2215 mentioned. Can you provide any additional details as to how you're actually carrying this light such that the tail switch engages?

My previous suggestion about the Lumintop EDC25 will be no better but my suggestion about "locking out" the tail cap should still apply.

LOL. This is going to sound really stupid, and I'm about to expose my ignorance about flashlights here, but you guys are very helpful, so you deserve the truth, if not just for a laugh.

I was wrong. I didn't have the Thrunite TC12. I had the Thrunite Neutron 2C V3. I gave it away a year ago when I couldn't solve the accidental discharge problem, and I couldn't remember what model it was. I googled Thrunite images, and landed on the TC 12. I wasn't paying enough attention to see that it wasn't the one I had, but more importantly, I wasn't paying enough attention to realize that the TC12 is actually exactly what I'm looking for! :laughing:

As long as the side switch on the TC12 only controls mode, and doesn't turn on the light, that's what I need. And, I like the size. I was really happy with the quality of the Neutron 2C V3 (during the short time I owned it), if it weren't for the accidental discharges, I'd still have it. So maybe I found what I was looking for without even realizing it before I even posted this thread!

I'm currently googling the suggestions here. I'm really grateful for the help. I tried googling things like "1000 lumen flashlight with no side switch" and wasn't very successful. Input from people in the know has been very helpful, so thank you guys.

Oh, and I would carry that Neutron 2C V3 clipped in my pocket. It didn't matter which pocket I carried it in, it would turn on. In my back pocket I would turn it on sitting down or bumping things, and in my front pockets the other objects in my pockets would turn it on. I tried rotating the clip so that it would orient the switch in a different position, but to no avail.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's step back in time a little. I just remembered that I have a Surefire G2 with a close to 1000 lumen Mountain Electronics drop in in it, running on a 16650 cell. If I had gotten the Cree version instead of the Nichia, it would be over 1000 lumens. All told, I believe I have about $60 into the combo. For a few dollars more I could have a clicky tail cap instead of the original tactical one.

Poppy

Flashaholic
First of all I am glad that you found your light!

Convoy M2, M1 and perhaps an S2+ with 2.8A driver board and a cool white XM-L2 LED?

You can find them modified for a bit more lumens.

Chris
I agree with Chris, and would like to suggest that if you want another, you might look at the Convoy S2+ with the XP-L Hi driven at 2.8 for about $20