Using PWM to control LED brightness?

Number21

Newly Enlightened
I have some LED modules with built in drivers that are designed to operate from 9-30v DC. I would like to be able to dim them, but, because of the wide operating voltage range I can't really do that by adjusting the voltage.

If I got a cheap PWM controller from ebay, like the type you might use to control a motor, would that be able to dim these lights?

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some LED modules with built in drivers that are designed to operate from 9-30v DC. I would like to be able to dim them, but, because of the wide operating voltage range I can't really do that by adjusting the voltage.

If I got a cheap PWM controller from ebay, like the type you might use to control a motor, would that be able to dim these lights?

Hi,

There's a little bit more to it. For example, some LED's are not supposed to be PWM'd at all.
So it depends on the LED's and the internal circuitry used to drive the LEDs.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
With fear and respect, take note of this thread, especially the final post

Constant Current is a superior method of controlling LED brightness, but it is neither simple enough for me to understand nor (obviously) explain. But I see interesting information germane to your application of controlling LED brightness on stackexchange

There are some CPF members that know, of course, and some are generous enough to share what they know. Their posts should appear soon enough. Stay tuned!

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes.

Last edited: