Help! Need 4x18650 UNprotected high drain cells for MT18vn

Hello everyone, I just bought my second modded light from SkyLumen, an MT18vn, and I need to purchase four 18650s, looking for 20A+ and 3000mah+... I was recommended Sony VTC5's by Vihn himself, and while I trust his recommendation, I really can't afford to spend $42 on 4 cells.

I tried searching the forum and looking at pinned threads but had no success. It said the search function is disabled. Can someone please link me a chart showing different high drain 18650s, and list their best prices from trustworthy dealers?

I will greatly appreciate recommendations for high drain 18650s WITH LARGE CAPACITY (I only own a single 1xCell charger and I don't charge my batteries often, which I know is very bad, dangerous, and potentially more expensive depleting their life sooner, but that is my nature. So please don't recommend any low capacity high drains, all 6 of my protected 18650s are 3400-3500mah. I'd like 20-30A draw, with 3000-3400mah if possible.

I read from multiple sources that Samsung 30Q's are not really drawing 30A, but more like 15-20. False advertising?

Please help! My light will be arriving in 5 days and I have no batteries yet!

Thanks, Brandon

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my experience you are not going to find a 20+ drain cell with a 3000mAh capacity. INR/IMR cells are usually lower capacity than their ICR counterparts due to the different chemistry needed to enable the higher draw. I just saw a blurb for I believe it was a Samsung 15D that is 25A, but only 1500 mAh capacity.
Your best source would probably be IMRBATTERIES.COM. As the name implies, that is their major focus. I think Illumin systems also carries quite a few.

Guess what I saw after I saved this! It is a Samsung 15B cell.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Limited-Info-Samsung-INR18650-15B-1500mAh-25A

From my experience you are not going to find a 20+ drain cell with a 3000mAh capacity. INR/IMR cells are usually lower capacity than their ICR counterparts due to the different chemistry needed to enable the higher draw. I just saw a blurb for I believe it was a Samsung 15D that is 25A, but only 1500 mAh capacity.
Your best source would probably be IMRBATTERIES.COM. As the name implies, that is their major focus. I think Illumin systems also carries quite a few.

Guess what I saw after I saved this! It is a Samsung 15B cell.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Limited-Info-Samsung-INR18650-15B-1500mAh-25A

Thank you for the info, though I'm very sad about this. What's the best 3 then on a budget, from your experience?

Just basically want the highest current draw / mAh capacity together. What's comparable / better to a Sony VTC5?

Here's HKJs Comparator..
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php

Put this into your favourite Search Encgine...

site:www.candlepowerforums.com SEARCH TERM

Replacing SEARCH TERM with your search.
It will search CPF a lot better than the inbuilt search.
P

Thanks for the HKJ comparator, although it's mostly useless to me until I get 3-4 recommendations of batteries to look up on here, since there's a thousand options it's difficult to check through each one and see specs. I will certainly use it after I hear some recommendations from you guys comparable to a Sony VTC5, the kind vihn recommends.

parametrek

Enlightened
If you are in the US I have a database of batteries from reputable US dealers. It is very easy to query and sort for whatever requirements you want.

The least expensive 20A 18650 is the $3.75 1500mAh LG HB3 at IMRBatteries. Highest capacity has some give or take on pricing. The best value appears to be the Sony VTC5A (2600mAh) from Illumn for $6.

If you are in the US I have a database of batteries from reputable US dealers. It is very easy to query and sort for whatever requirements you want.

The least expensive 20A 18650 is the $3.75 1500mAh LG HB3 at IMRBatteries. Highest capacity has some give or take on pricing. The best value appears to be the Sony VTC5A (2600mAh) from Illumn for $6.

Yes please! I am located on the east coast US!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just go with a set of Sony VTC-5A cells and see if you can live with their lower capacity. With the way they hold higher voltages in demanding loads, they actually perform better, capacity-wise, than some of the other 15A-20A cells we use.

I can't see what load that modified light places on the cells, but the 5As should be no problem.

If you have to buy a second set to keep handy, while using the light a lot, you can buy those later.

Chris

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I can't imagine that Sony VTC5's wouldn't be able to supply enough current. They sound like the best choice.