Fenix Counterfeit or clones?

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen clones, like one of their headlamps, but with a different brand name.

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
In your mind, what is the difference between "counterfeit" and "clone"?

To me, they are both the same. I'll add fake in there as well. It's sad that so many companies have to worry about some cheap knockoff of their product, and it seems to be acceptable to many purchasers. Lights and knives seem to be some of the worst.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
In your mind, what is the difference between "counterfeit" and "clone"?

To me, they are both the same. I'll add fake in there as well. It's sad that so many companies have to worry about some cheap knockoff of their product, and it seems to be acceptable to many purchasers. Lights and knives seem to be some of the worst.

Well, a clone "appears to be a copy of the original" -- like the Boruit RJ-O2 headlamp...cloning the Fenix headlamp, but branded as Boruit.

While a counterfeit is made in imitation of the original with intent to deceive (emphasis on 'deceive)...and in this example, if that Boruit headlamp was branded as a Fenix, and sold as one.

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen clones, but no counterfeits.
I consider a counterfeit anything that uses the same or similar name and imitates packaging

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
You copy the name or the design, both are bad business and the same in my book. The markings don't make a difference to me, if you copy the design you are clearly trying to deceive the buyer into thinking your product is legitimate. If not, then you are just copying a design rather than give them credit for it. Poor business practices that I won't support.

Well, a clone "appears to be a copy of the original" -- like the Boruit RJ-O2 headlamp...cloning the Fenix headlamp, but branded as Boruit.

While a counterfeit is made in imitation of the original with intent to deceive (emphasis on 'deceive)...and in this example, if that Boruit headlamp was branded as a Fenix, and sold as one.