Stanley HID0109 worth repairing?

ranger_rick

Newly Enlightened
My wife bought me a Stanley HID109 for Christmas a couple years ago and sadly I didn't maintain the battery and now the AGM won't take a charge.

I pulled the battery and it won't take a charge from any of my maintainers or chargers - i read up on dead AGM's and there are some tricks to get them going again but most say that once they are dead they are not worth fixing

I did find a replacement battery for $20+ but I am not sure its worth the investment.

I did like the light out put but it is heavy and i being plastic i question its durability

thoughts??

thank you RR

BVH

Flashaholic
If you like the performance of the light, then it's worth the new battery. There are very few small, self-contained HID lights available even today. The Stanley was ahead of it's time with a very quick boosted startup circuit that give's almost instant full brightness. That's very rare with HID's. If you don't want it, there would probably be a market for it here on CPF.

djjoonie

Newly Enlightened
If you like the performance of the light, then it's worth the new battery. There are very few small, self-contained HID lights available even today. The Stanley was ahead of it's time with a very quick boosted startup circuit that give's almost instant full brightness. That's very rare with HID's. If you don't want it, there would probably be a market for it here on CPF.

+1 :hitit:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I bought an AC/DC inverter for mine, which allows it to be powered by an outlet. I'd go for the battery swap if there were a quick and easy place to get the battery and then some quick and easy instructions to install it..

ranger_rick

Newly Enlightened
yeah the tear was very straight forward no surprises.

i need to figure out a battery management system so that i don't end up with another dead AGM.

i did like the light output - as noted it was instant on,

thanks everyone for the advice! RR