ZL H600 MK IV or should I try another brand?

Secateurs

Newly Enlightened
Hi, Looking forward to your advice and suggestions again. I'm up for some more headlamps due to an expanding tribe and more camping happening. A good reason to buy - a flashaholic's dream!

Currently I have several Zebralights. My favourite is the H600 MK ? (520lm max?). An amazing headlamp and almost perfect. Almost. So I'm wondering whether to just get a MK IV or look at different brands this time?

Things I like about my current light: Size, weight, waterproofness, ruggedness, colour temp, spot and spill are all good. I never get it out of the headband but I like the idea of having the option. I like that it fits over my cycling helmet too.

Things that somewhat annoy: I am getting a little annoyed with the User Interface. I mainly use High 2 (300lm) which is great for many tasks, and I love that I can use it for hours at that brightness without having to change batteries. My second favourite mode is Low 1 which I use in the kid's room when they are sleeping to not disturb them. The problem is getting between the two modes sometimes annoys me. I usually turn the light off then turn it on again straight away with either a long or short press to get to the other mode. This is the quickest way I have found, but it takes a second of having my hand to my head to accomplish, which sometimes annoys me. I hear the new UI in the MK IV allows more customisability. Could I use it to overcome my problem?

I also use Low 2 (good for kid's night light in emergencies), and of course High 1 (fulfilling flashaholic urges like wowing people and seeing what's in that tree over there). I rarely use the medium brightness levels.

Something else I find annoying is that the elastic constantly stretches and I keep having to adjust it smaller. Probably because it is getting old now, and I know a new band would fix, but still annoys me...

Things I would like in my next headlamp: More lumens on high, of course! The more the better! I am a bit worried, however, that 1600 lumens from a single 18650 light will cause too much heat. Even mine gets almost too hot to touch after a few minutes at 520 lumens. I live in Outback Australia, and nighttime temperatures can still be quite warm... Of course, High is usually only for short bursts (not that I wouldn't love to use it on that brightness for an extended period - e.g. when mountain biking).
Something else I would like would be more flexibility for batteries in emergencies. E.g. the ability to use 2x CR123A or something. Not a dealbreaker though.

Am I missing out by sticking with Zebralight? Are there others I could be considering? I have an ArmyTec AA light which I hate, partly because I decided to give warm white another try and confirmed how much I hate them. But also because I hate the User Interface. The magnet is nice though...

Others I have looked at and wonder if I should consider more closely are:

Nitecore hc60
https://www.brightnite.com.au/nitecore-hc60-1000-lumen-18650-headlamp.html

Fenix HL60R

Spark SD6

Any others I have missed?

I am also looking at adding a floody or flood to my range as another of my purchases, so any recommendations for those would be welcome too. I have a floody AA Zebralight, which I don't like as much as the 18650 spot&spill, but I think that may be more to do with the fact that high is just not quite bright enough, and burns through the battery far too quickly. The extra brightness of even H2 on the H600 MK IV and the longer runtime might counteract this. What do you think? should I try the H600F instead of the H600?

Thanks for your input!

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you're looking for a headlamp that can be removed from the headband and used as a flashlight, i'd stick with the zebralight, otherwise the hl60r. the xtar h3w is on sale for $20 at imrbatteries.com. i think its such an outstanding deal i bought 2

Keitho

Enlightened
When I look at my recent purchases, I've only considered and purchased non-Zebralight options for:
- throw/tactical applications
- 21700 cells
- smallest AAA or AA lights for gifts and to scatter throughout my life

For 1x18650 flood and spot/flood applications, I haven't reached for a non-ZL for years. I'm hoping they come out with an SC65c that uses a 21700! In my conceited opinion, you're not missing out by sticking with ZL.

tonkem

Enlightened
I agree with Keitho, Zebralight for all applications, except multiple cell lights(high output) for example. But my goto headlamp is a Zebralight H600 MK3

When I look at my recent purchases, I've only considered and purchased non-Zebralight options for:
- throw/tactical applications
- 21700 cells
- smallest AAA or AA lights for gifts and to scatter throughout my life

For 1x18650 flood and spot/flood applications, I haven't reached for a non-ZL for years. I'm hoping they come out with an SC65c that uses a 21700! In my conceited opinion, you're not missing out by sticking with ZL.