Quality headlamp for kids - not too blinding

Secateurs

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I have 4 young kids now who squabble over any of my headlamps they can get their hands on. Moreover, they need lights for when we go camping, which is happening more often these days.

I am looking for headlamps that will not be too blinding, not too big, waterproof, rugged and future-proof (i.e. they won't grow out of them too easily). And something I can commandeer back off them if needed out in the "field" :laughing:

I use rechargeables so leaving them on isn't too much of an issue for me. Neither is price.

At the moment I am thinking the ZebraLight H53w or H53Fw IF and only IF they have the new User Interface like the H600. I believe this would allow me to customise the brightness levels to a lower maximum, e.g. 50lm. Could someone confirm that? Then I could re-program them to be brighter as they grow older and become more responsible about not shining lights in people's eyes. This seems like a pretty future-proof way to go for me.

I am concerned about runtimes for the ZL AA lights though. I have issues with the one I have because it doesn't go for as long as I want it to. I have several KeepPower 14500's (840mAh) I run in it, but they don't seem to last any longer than my eneloop 2000mAh's. Do I just have some dud 14500's or is this normal for that form factor?

Anyone have other suggestions? Thanks for your input!

parametrek

Enlightened
The H53 series does have the new UI. Iirc they were the first ZLs to feature it. However be aware they don't support 14500. And can be "unlocked" with just 5 quick clicks.

The 14500 has 3Wh of juice. An Eneloop has 2.4Wh of juice. I would expect the runtime to not be substantially better since that is only 25% more. Possibly worse for the 14500 if ZL uses a linear regulator to drop voltage down in the AA models.

The Fenix HL16 is $25 with a 70 lumen max. Also powered by 1xAA. It has an optional "child safe" battery compartment.

Last edited:

Secateurs

Newly Enlightened
I just realised the H53w and H53FW are only 4500k. A bit too warm for my liking :(

But maybe better for not blinding people?

Any suggestions for whiter light along the same lines as the Zebralight?

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
For my son, I bought him the black diamond "bot". Fairly rugged and has an auto Off that shuts the lamp off after 2 hours. It has proven to be plenty bright enough.

chadvone

Enlightened
Maybe check out the Nitecore NU series of lights. I have the NU30 and its a fun light. Spot, flood, and RED. Rechargeable. Might be fun for kids. Heck I like it and I have other headlamps.