2018 Colorado headlights

CSinMI

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2018 Colorado Z71. I need better headlights. The other night, my XYL commented on how poor the lighting was meaning I am OK to try something else. We have old eyes, and do most of our driving on rural roads.

Phillips Bulb Look-up does not have 2018's and GM couldn't find room in its glove box book for bulb numbers. From under the hood, I found H11 and 9005 bulbs installed.

A few years ago, this forum seemed to favor a modified H9 bulb, but as the supply of good ones dried up, the forum seemed to switch to the H11 X-treme and lately a couple of other brands have been recommended. Four years ago, sac02 did a comparison and the H11 X-treme did well with less above cutoff glare than the H9 and better focus (range) than the long-life H11.

What is today's "BEST" for this Colorado? Has GM cheapened the wiring so I need to worry about "BUSS, "CAN", and "PWM" as I did for my Wrangler (has Speakers, no wonder the Colorado seems poor)?

Thanks,

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few years ago, this forum seemed to favor a modified H9 bulb, but as the supply of good ones dried up, the forum seemed to switch to the H11 X-treme and lately a couple of other brands have been recommended.
Supplies of the H9 have not "dried up", what is more scarce are vehicles that can be safely upgraded from H11 to H9.

For the high beam, upgrading to a Philips HIR1 (base modification required) is a no-brainer. But for the H11-to-H9 swap on your low beam, I don't have the data-- but even though it has projector headlamps, not all projector headlamps can be safely upgraded to the H9. To minimize glare for other drivers and still improve seeing, this is what you want.