Super reliable AAA 2-stage twisty light

elzilcho

Enlightened
I'm looking for a small (preferably AAA and preferably titanium) 2-stage twisty light that's super reliable and has either a cool or neutral emitter. I bought an early generation Muyshondt Aeon from another member, but it was defective and only turned on about half the time, so the reliability I hoped for wasn't there with that one. The Tain Ottavino is along the lines of what I'm looking for. Hoping to get some other suggestions, since they're sold out.

Thanks!

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
The Prometheus Beta isn't the smallest AAA light, and it also isn't titanium, but if it's on a keychain or whatever, the quick release is awesome, and if you prefer a pocket clip, that's an option too. All with a nice neutral high CRI light using a Nichia emitter. 2 stage if you get either of the aluminum options. The brass and copper are 3 mode.

FourSevens Atom A0 was available with a neutral Nichia high CRI. It is made of titanium, and is probably the smallest AAA light that I know of. Runs 2 brightness settings. Might be a little harder to find being discontinued...

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Urban edc supply has a Tain Aurora that sounds like exactly what you want. I really liked the look of it until I saw the price.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Must it be only a "progressive" twisty UI ?

Just FYI, progressive switches are quite convenient in terms of UI, but do tend towards lower reliability.

Last edited:

parametrek

Enlightened
Plugging AAA and twist switch and 2 levels into my database finds a few. They are the Inova XS, Sunwayman R02A and Surefire Titan. The Titan is probably the sturdiest and easiest to find.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, the SureFire Titan(A) was specifically what I was considering for the OP, but it is not a progressive switch.

Other options perhaps worth mentioning might include Peak Eiger QTC ... not 2-stage, but a progressive twisty, and probably among the most reliable (albeit not necessarily particularly smooth or stable in terms of its continuous output adjustment)

Is the PK-PL2 still available ? That is (or was) a 2-stage sequential (not progressive) AAA twist-switched flashlight

And the LiteFlux LF2X ... but long since discontinued and likely very difficult to find now

Last edited:

elzilcho

Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions!

The Titan, PK-PL2 & LF2X are all good options but far too large for my purposes. When I say "small," I mean on the small end of small. Definitely under 3" long, preferably under 2.75" in length. Already have several Peak Eigers (love those!) that would be perfect if they weren't so perfectly tank-like in their dimensions. ;)

I've been carting around a little Olight i3E which is almost unreasonably tiny, but the single (high) output is overkill on a daily basis. I could waive the progressive UI as long as the turn-on level addressed my typical needs, minimum 5 lumens and up to about 30-ish. The low levels on so many of the 3-speed lights are what turned me off that UI in the first place because there was just too much twisting.

The Tain Aurora would be ideal if it didn't have the warm emitter. High CRI is of no use to me and I find warm emitters unpleasant.

Could be I'm looking for a unicorn!

archimedes

Flashaholic
Last edited:

elzilcho

Enlightened
Does anyone have experience with the durability/reliability of the Preon P0 or the Atom A0? I don't want to track down something that's been reported to have issues (my luck buying used lights has been quite bad lately and I can't keep throwing expensive things into the trash). Since I'm completely unfamiliar with the Foursevens line I thought I should ask first. I've only heard excellent reviews of Tain's work which is why I started there.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Atom A0, and the only reliability issues that it has relate to the titanium threads.
When tightening to turn the light on, the very small and smooth light coupled with the friction of the titanium threads makes it easy to make and break contact quickly while tightening, or loosen - tighten, this means that sometimes I'll flash high trying for low, or vice versa. Not a big deal once it's set, but not ideal when you never wanted to flash high.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Maybe a fenix e05. Turn on is 8 lumens and it goes up from there. Pretty darn small and in my experiance relaible. But its not titanium.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest looking at the titanium Muyshondt Maus. Only heard very positive things about this light. Can find them right now on Enrique's site.

If you are hooked on the AAA battery format you really cannot go much smaller than the Maratac AAA which comes in titanium. The Gen 4 version goes for $60 at optiongray. I have the aluminum and it is bullet proof and measures 3 1/8" in length. Disappears in your pocket.

Tain's work is outstanding. I recently did a catch and release on his recent AAA lights. Purchased it because of the machine work. Released it because I thought the mechanism, open for on and open more for high, would not hold up in regular daily use. Plus, the titanium got warm quickly when the light was on high.

Should you go to a smaller mAh format than AAA you will have short run times especially on the higher lumen level.

Last edited:

elzilcho

Enlightened
Interestingly, Tain actually used the P0 light engine for one of his early flashlights ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...UT-Ti-P0-and-BeCu-P0-with-Nichia-219-and-Trit

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info, it's good background to have as I do my search.

I have an Atom A0, and the only reliability issues that it has relate to the titanium threads.
When tightening to turn the light on, the very small and smooth light coupled with the friction of the titanium threads makes it easy to make and break contact quickly while tightening, or loosen - tighten, this means that sometimes I'll flash high trying for low, or vice versa. Not a big deal once it's set, but not ideal when you never wanted to flash high.

Also good to know, thanks for the input.

I suggest looking at the titanium Muyshondt Maus. Only heard very positive things about this light. Can find them right now on Enrique's site.

If you are hooked on the AAA battery format you really cannot go much smaller than the Maratac AAA which comes in titanium. The Gen 4 version goes for $60 at optiongray. I have the aluminum and it is bullet proof and measures 3 1/8" in length. Disappears in your pocket.

Tain's work is outstanding. I recently did a catch and release on his recent AAA lights. Purchased it because of the machine work. Released it because I thought the mechanism, open for on and open more for high, would not hold up in regular daily use. Plus, the titanium got warm quickly when the light was on high.

I like the Maus a lot but the very low turn-on setting is a no-go for me. My use for this light will ALWAYS require something brighter and with a twisty that's just signing up for too much fiddling. Unfortunate, because it's such a nice little package otherwise.

The Maratac may be my next choice, though finding one in titanium or SS (which would also be OK) with a cool emitter and the medium turn-on could be a challenge. It looks like some of the more recent Massdrop Maratacs start on low. Hopefully they'll have another batch available soon that goes back to the medium.

Thanks also for the feedback on the Ottavino. I don't recall reading about anyone experiencing a failure with the mechanism but maybe most people leave them on a shelf rather than carry them, since they're little works of metal art.

colight

Enlightened
@elzilcho, the Fenix E99Ti will be exactly what you're looking for, IF you can find one, that is!

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
MJP extreme, Eiger, Thrunite Ti. Any of the three fit the bill, although the Eiger and MJP are a little longer. The Ti is a progressive two stage but I don't recall them making a titanium version.what about Maratac? Very small and I have not heard of any reliability complaints.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast

Should you go to a smaller mAh format than AAA you will have short run times especially on the higher lumen level.

Isn't the Maus N cell? That's a different battery size from the OP request. I would have been all over an upgraded Mako...

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the Olight I3S-CU EOS? From the description, I can't tell if it's copper, titanium, gold, or all of the above but uses a Cree XPL. Puts out 180 lumens on high (ramps down to 90 after 30 seconds), 20 lumens on medium, and 1 lumen on low. Looks good for $30. It is a 3 stage though, not two.

colight

Enlightened
I have another recommendation for you, elzilcho: have a look at the Fenix UC02SS. It's not Ti, but as the title indicates: stainless steel. it is a great little light. I carry one myself as a keychain light. Two-stage twisty, with 10 lumens Low and 130 lumens High. I love the way this light operates - just tighten the head to first reach 10 lm; continue tightening to get to the 130 lm. To switch off or return to Low, just loosen the head again.

Here it is, next to my PD35 V2.0: