Light for AR 15

TA_ls1

Enlightened
I'm trying to decide. I've narrowed it down to either the Streamlight tlr-1 HL or the Streamlight Pro Tac HL-X. It will be mounted to a picatinny rail (not sure which side of the handguard yet).

The Pro Tac has a little more lumens and throw but is bulkier, whereas the tlr1 is smaller and can also be moved to my pistols if I need to. I do like the option for tailcap clicky activation on the Pro Tac to get constant on because the pressure switch is only momentary. They both seem equally reliable and everything else.

So between the two setups I'm looking at, what do you think?

parametrek

Enlightened
Easy, the HL-X can use rechargeable 18650 batteries instead of expensive CR123A cells.

TA_ls1

Enlightened
Ah, I didn't know that. I thought all weapon lights had to use primaries due to the recoil being bad for rechargeables. The HL-X sounds like the cheaper route to go, since the mounting package is also cheaper than the tlr1 package.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Recoil can cause the protective circuit of a rechargeable to trip. If you use the setup often the Rayovac primary are good for less than Streamlight batteries. If you buy in bulk of 50-100 they cost about a buck each or less.

If you don't use it very often the cost of an occasional primary is worth the peace of mind.

I'm all about rechargeables for recreational lights, but when it absolutely has to work, the primary cell is my only source of fuel.

Regarding the light.... eh, go with the ProTac and mount it at 9 o'clock..