flood or floody for photography fill light while camping?

Secateurs

Newly Enlightened
I'm about to buy another headlamp which I am hoping to use as an "emergency" fill light for photography when camping etc. So it needs to be multi-use - e.g. headlamp, camping lantern, photography fill light (probably in that order).

I am considering the Zebralight H600FD MK IV (floody, high CRI, 5000k) or the H604d (flood, high CRI, 5000k). I can't decide if floody will be diffuse enough. What do you think?

Any other suggestions of alternatives would be welcome as well! Thanks for your input

Anything lower than 5000k I don't like in terms of colour temperature - though lower temperature and yellow can be better for a camping lantern in Outback Australia, to not attract the bugs.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're still going to have a mostly point source light, can you take a white umbrella or something with you?
I'm no photographer, but I like to take macros of insects and plants with my smart phone, and I'm always struggling to get the light from my floody MK II to bounce off something large enough to improve the light. Holding it backwards to bounce off my palm is an improvement at short range.
The pure flood version is pretty much a point of light, casts really sharp shadows.
Both are much better than a reflector light with hot spot.

UVvis

Enlightened
What are you photographing? Tape over the lens can work to diffuse a beam for exposure purposes.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are serious about taking pictures in the wild, a headlamp is not going to cut it. Even if you find one that has an even flood across the beam, the problem is going to be aiming it, unless you are not going to be wearing it while taking the photos. At that point, why not look into getting a good flood flashlight that you can fasten to a tripod, etc., and reserve the headlamp for actually looking while you are working. The Nitecore TM06's four LEDs give s wide smooth beam that is described as a 'wall of light', that would work well for both near and far subjects. The Olite SR Mini Intimidator II actually has a frosted lens to provide a smooth even beam. Also, most of the 1" body size lights are available with diffuser caps that can be slipped onto the head to provide a smooth beam.

Keitho

Enlightened
I've used my floody SC600Fd Mk III Plus to good effect as emergency fill light, during daylight more than night. The evenness of the beam makes it easier to use for that purpose, at least for me. The wider beam would also allow you to use a larger reflector if available, to soften the light (large white t shirt, whatever). A flashlight like that is a great way to add drama with shadows, back-lighting, etc.