What to do with 2AAA Maglite??

tranders

Newly Enlightened
Had a Duracell battery leak in my 2AAA LED mini Maglite. In the process of trying to remove stuck battery, I destroyed the bulb and switch assembly. Contacted Maglite Corp and they won't sell me a new switch and bulb. So now I have a mint condition mini Maglite with no bulb. Any ideas what to do with this or should I lick my wounds and pitch it?

Thanks for the help!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Z battery has parts. But they say the switch assembly can only be had from Maglite. So it could be that Maglite has run out.

I see Amazon has some but they are $13+ s&h. May as well buy another light and keep this one for the parts.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag has really stopped supporting these lights it sounds like. They're service and warranty isn't what it used to be because the lights have gotten to the point where they are cheaper to replace than service. Maglite never really replaced or serviced lights due to leaking batteries though.

In the past there was a switch part number. I'll see if I can locate it in my old literature. You may be able to search for it and see if anything comes up but a complete AAA Maglite can likely be had for less. I've seen used, but like new ones of fleabay for $5 shipped you could just use as a donor if you're really attached to the light.

I'm not aware of any inexpensive way to turn the light into a usable LED. Most of the conversion kits are more money than buying a new LED Mini Maglite. That being said I think the Incan Mini Mags are still very nice and they have a pretty decent run time. I still use mine when walking at night and tooling around on my truck because of it's size.

If you really get stuck and really have an attachment to the light let me know. I have a bunch of replacement switches and I've done a couple restorations on some old Mini Mags.

Wireworld

Newly Enlightened
I had just the same happen to me and in the end I couldn't get the duracells out without destroying the maglite. In the end I scrapped it.

tranders

Newly Enlightened
I think my best bet is to forget about saving it and call it a loss. No more Duracells for this guy.
Live and learn.

Thanks to all for suggestions.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think my best bet is to forget about saving it and call it a loss. No more Duracells for this guy.
Live and learn.

All alkalines leak, best to switch to NIMH's (Eneloops) or L92 Energizer Ultimate Lithiums - no worries about leaks with these!

lunas

Enlightened
Live and learn.

For the future should this happen again...

use some water on the battery the white crystal alkaline substance is some mixture of potassium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide and is water soluble it may dissolve enough to give the battery some movement and thus give you a chance for extraction. I have cleaned up messes from leaking alks before a wii mote and a few flashlight the lights and a old coleman lantern were salvaged with some pitting...

KBobAries

Enlightened
For the future should this happen again...

use some water on the battery the white crystal alkaline substance is some mixture of potassium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide and is water soluble it may dissolve enough to give the battery some movement and thus give you a chance for extraction. I have cleaned up messes from leaking alks before a wii mote and a few flashlight the lights and a old coleman lantern were salvaged with some pitting...

What about vinegar?

SG688

Newly Enlightened
Confirm recent good luck with both Energizer and Duracell making good on damage with a check. Didn't even have to return the item as in the past. On they phone, they've taken my word for it. Last time, online with Energizer about a flashlight failure, they asked for pictures.

Macka17

Newly Enlightened
Those Mini Mag's are a NICE light. aestheticaly and feel.
Plus a lot of Nostalgia.

I have a "few" LED lights. Plus my one 30\40? yr old Mini Mag.
I stripped out the originals. cleaned it up.
Bought a $16.40 USD, LED\Rear sw kit for it. THAT replaces both ends of torch.

It's still a lovely little light. Usable and much better quality than the Chinese ones.
It still sits beside my bedhead for night walks.
I'd just replace the ends myself.