HF tailcap fix?

2wenty

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, first let me start by saying I hope Guy is okay. I emailed him and there was no response.

I have an HF where the tailcap switch isn't working. Its works with the momentary switch so I assume the contacts might be dirty. What would be the best tool to take the tailcap apart? Snap ring pliers?

Also as a side note, would anyone know where to get the Nuke batteries, Ive looked all around and couldn't find anything.

Thanks

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF

The HF tailcap can be disassembled using a pin wrench or a small pair of needle nose pliers. Prometheus Lights sells a switch tool that works great. Be very careful as there are small springs and ball bearing in there. I give it a medium difficulty rating reassembling the switch. You can clean both the contacts and ball with no-oxide gold or red.

CRX_

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, first let me start by saying I hope Guy is okay. I emailed him and there was no response.

I have an HF where the tailcap switch isn't working. Its works with the momentary switch so I assume the contacts might be dirty. What would be the best tool to take the tailcap apart? Snap ring pliers?

Also as a side note, would anyone know where to get the Nuke batteries, Ive looked all around and couldn't find anything.

Thanks

Here's a teadown of the HF-R Ti UTT switch that might help you.
cFB276U.jpg

The resistor values in the switch are:
92A – 887Ω
201 – 200Ω
150 – 15 Ω
5R1 – 5.1Ω
0 – 0Ω

Couple of my HF-R Mods :)
YDMPBpd.jpg

hbNlD5T.jpg

2wenty

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

CRX, funny I was just looking at your lights on reddit. Awesome work. I was wondering how your momentary worked on the one with the MT-G2 emitter.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very Nice!
Just so everyone knows, the original standard tail switch used a ball bearing with a tiny coil spring that is difficult to re-assemble.
Having never taking my UTT tailcap apart your pictures show quite a bit of design progress compared to the original.
Your mods are awesome, congrats!

Here's a teadown of the HF-R Ti UTT switch that might help you.
cFB276U.jpg

The resistor values in the switch are:
92A – 887Ω
201 – 200Ω
150 – 15 Ω
5R1 – 5.1Ω
0 – 0Ω

Couple of my HF-R Mods :)
YDMPBpd.jpg

hbNlD5T.jpg

CRX_

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

CRX, funny I was just looking at your lights on reddit. Awesome work. I was wondering how your momentary worked on the one with the MT-G2 emitter.

Thanks. It is a custom hand made copper unit built into the 10250 section, the third GITD mark is the momentary switch button on both versions.
It simply connects the battery to the flashlight body when pressed, bypassing the rotary switch unit.
I also swapped some resistors in the switch as follows for better output levels and turning the rotary switch to the right now goes from high to low.

Momentary mode – 760lm
92A – 887Ω to 1Ω – 240lm – 20mins
201 – 200Ω to 2Ω – 150lm – 40mins
150 – 15 Ω to same – 30lm – 220mins
5R1 – 5.1Ω to 200Ω – 10lm
0 – 0Ω to 887Ω – 1lm

Last edited:

CRX_

Newly Enlightened
Very Nice!
Just so everyone knows, the original standard tail switch used a ball bearing with a tiny coil spring that is difficult to re-assemble.
Having never taking my UTT tailcap apart your pictures show quite a bit of design progress compared to the original.
Your mods are awesome, congrats!

Thanks. Good to know.
Yeah I had been after one of these lights for a while and eventually managed to buy one second hand, one of my favorites now.